Clownfish breeding in tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
My LFS said if my clownfish pair breed you can just put something like a flowerpot in the main tank and the babies mgiht go in it.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Yeah but a kressel (sp) system works better

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=3869
Here is a thread with some very helpfull pics. These work great for fish that either can't swim at birth or are poor swimmers. In the case of clown fish it makes for a tank with no flat sides for them to run into as that can and does often cause death in clownfish fry.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
If or should I say WHEN I get some ponies I plan to build a few of them and try to raise them.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
My father and I were breeding and raising clownfish for a while. We had 3 29 gallon tanks for 3 pairs of breeders. bare bottom no substrate 29 gallon tanks with 1 flower pot.

The fish would spawn like clockwork about once a month, eggs hatched in about 8 or 9 days if I remember correctly.

The grow out stage, from 1 day to 3 weeks the fish were kept in a 30 something gallon hexagon tank, with all the side glass tapped up (the babies don't like light from all angles, only from the top).

After that point we moved the babies over to a series of 8 55 gallon tanks to grow out to 3 months. At that point the fish were between 1/4" and 1/2", not really a sellable size, and we were sitting on several thousand fish with no more space, so we stopped breeding and sold off everything as it got big enough.

It was fun, interesting, and on a small scale I think I may do it again at some point, but trying to do it as a source of income without a huge facility isn't worth the hassle.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah. the babies wont go on the flowerpot. the flowerpot is there for the pair to lay the eggs on, but once hatched, the babies will be everywhere. They also have pretty much NO chance of surviving in your main tank. They will be eaten/sucked up/starved to death. The best thing to do is put them in another tank as suggested above. the best transfer methods is putting the rock (or flowerpot) that the clowns layed eggs on in a seperate tank a day or two before hatching. You can then use an airbubbler to create some water flow over the eggs, but you cant have any of the bubbles actualy touch the eggs. you can also catch them at night right after they hatch. shine a flashlight down into the water and the clownfish will start swirling in the beam of light. Then just shine the light at a white bowl and they will swim in there, then jsut transfer.
if you are even thinking about raising clownfish, i would strongly suggest buying "clownfishes" by joyce wilkerson

rockethippo

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Yukon Territory, Canada
What are the survival rates of the babies? and how many babies per breeding?

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
My two Clarkiis breed every three weeks or so. The babies grow until you can see their shining silver eyes. The male beats the heck out of anything that comes close and then one night they hatch and the Mandarins get a feast. I'm on my fourth breeding right now. Wish I could figure out a way to get 'em out of there before they hatch. I do have another tank with revolving cheato and tons of bugs I could transfer them to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store