Algae, urgh! Snails help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with one female betta in it (she's not big).
It's not in direct sunlight, but it keeps getting algae (sp?)! What can I do for this? Would a small snail help any? Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are your nitrates like? Most likely, a low light plant would help more than a snail, and help your fish be happier in the tank. Green algaes thrive when there are too many dissolved nutrients, high phosphates, and no competition for them. I would add a plant, and make sure you are using a phosphate free water source for changes.

Rava

Betta Babe
Dec 26, 2002
CA
What plant would you recommend? I know I should probably ask on that board... Also, where would I buy it? Is Petsmart okay?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd pick up an anubias nana (also called dwarf anubias), and see if you can get some duckweed. The anubias will be the long term plant. You can attach it to a rock or wood, where it will be very happy, or you can plant it like a conventional plant. I've had great luck with them on rocks and wood. While it is getting established, the duck weed will soak up nutrients and multiply like mad. Scoop it out and throw it away--this exports the excesses completely out of the system. Petsmart around here usually has nice plant tanks--no fish, which means they won't introduce a disease. I still would clean it--use a 1:10 bleach water solution. Submerge the plant for a count of 30, rinse well in de-chlorinated water (water from a recent change is ideal!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store