Will neon tetras get along with black neons?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emil

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
I bought 11 black neon tetras two weeks ago and am planning to add 6 regular neons this week. Will they get along well? Will they school together? I can't believe I haven't been able to find a direct answer on this although I have Googled it quite a bit.

I have a twenty gallon tank. Ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, ph 7.9, and nitrates 5-10. My black neon tetras are very happy and healthy, as are my three amano shrimp that share the tank.

I thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Regards,
Emil

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
hmm.... running a little towards the overstocked side, eh? (not that i'm saying it's overstocked.. but what do i know?).

They won't school with each other. most likely, they'll just go about their own ways.

but it's a good idea to keep only one kind of tetra species. If you do, you'll reduce the stress. i'll just wait for someone else to explain what stress has to do with this lol.

:)

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
I have the Black and well as regular Neons (as well as glolight) tetras in my 29.

Everyone goes their own way, don't school/shoal together (well the glolights will sometimes swim with the neons).

No aggression that I can see....

Emil

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
is your tank a 20 gallon high or a 20 gallon long?
My tank is a high. Maybe what I'll do is not add anything else and just enjoy what I've got. If they don't school together and cause stress for one another, that's not good, and if I run the chance of overstocking, that's not good either. Thank you all for helping me think things over. NOW I WANT A 55!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store