German Blue Ram fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cornflakegrl

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
I came home to find a bajillion fry in my 10 gallon tank (the only inhabitants are 2 Rams). Now there's only about 20ish. :( I had hoped I'd had a pair, but wasn't too sure. I was watching, and noted what I assume to be the mother eating the fry. I scooped her out, but her in another tank, and then caught the father doing the same thing. The fry are all free swimming, so I'm guessing they're a couple of days old.
That being said, I have no clue how to tend to these. I know the father is supposed to take care of them, but he was more interested in feasting than helping.
As I said, the tank is 10 gallons, the temp is 80, and I haven't checked the pH in a couple days, but I do have driftwood in there. It's fairly decently planted as well.
I put in a few drops of some liquid fry food, but I don't know how well that went over. Do I need to get a culture of microworms or something? I'm afraid it will be too late for the fry if I order a culture tomorrow morning. Any help is greatly appreciated. I read an article a few months ago with a brief section of breeding Rams, but it didn't say a whole lot about raising the fry.
Thanks.

jt2007

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Hi
Take this with a grain of salt as I am a newbie at this:
As far as I know normal Baby Brine Shrimps are too large for the fry. I do know, however, a special brand of baby brine shrimps thats much smaller and might work for blue ram fry: http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FISH_FOODS_/Brine_Shrimp_Eggs/brine_shrimp_eggs.html

I dont know about microworms but I think you might possibly get some infusoria if you have a big ball of java moss or something.

here is the wiki link where it teaches you to grow your own infusoria
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infusoria

Once the fry get big enough I think they eventually will take cyclops, etc.

Just my two cents....i am no expert like these other people here

JT
"An unknown cure is better than no cure"

Cornflakegrl

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
Well crud, I just went and bough frozen baby bs in hopes they'd go after it lol. I'm sure this batch of fry isn't going to make it (I'm already only seeing a couple in the tank now), but I'm gonna go ahead and order the minis for next time.
Thanks a lot; I really appreciate the suggestion.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
they will feed on BBS

the best practice is to hatch out your own BBS. but in a pinch the frozen stuff works.

I've grown out hatches of angels with no issues..I know others on the board have grown out Blues and bolivians. using BBS...you can also grow microworms.

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
How often can they lay eggs?
My Bolivians can do once a month or once every other month. It comes down to water conditions, and if there are specific triggers for spawning behavior.... swing in temp, more water changed than usual, introduction of live/frozen food more to their liking.

They may not all have been eaten.... have you checked to make sure they aren't getting sucked up by your filter? You said they were free swimming, so I suspect you may have "blended" many of them in a filter impeller.:confused:

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
If you're serious about it then the only way to go is with LIVE bbs. Go get a sponge filter and put it in your main tank right away. That way it will be cycled and ready for the next batch of fry. You'll also need a grow out tank (10g minimum) Use the next month to practice hatching bbs as there is a bit of a learning curve to it. Good Luck.

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Wow, congratulations on the Ram fry.

Only speaking from my experience my rams lay eggs about every 2-3 weeks. I have typically removed them because the parents will eat the eggs before the eggs hatch. I keep the eggs in a fish keep that hangs on the inside of the tank with a bit of methylene blue and acriflavine to maintain temperature. Once the fry are free swimming I remove them to another fish keeper without the chemicals. I feed them LOTS of vinegar eels and microworms for about 4-5 days. I have found that either frozen or fresh BBS are too big for the fry and without the eels or microworms they usually starve to death. Once I get them onto the BBS I am typically good to go. I use R/O water with R/O right and try to change some of the fish keeper water daily, removing the fungus that tends to grow on the bottom. After a week or two I transfer them to either a 2.5 or 5 gallon tank where I continue to feed them BBS, grindle worms, and eventually blackworms. Hope that helps!

Charlie.Hammond

Registered Member
May 28, 2012
The male and female sometimes look like they are eating the fry, but they are collecting them in their mouth and moving them back to the majority of the fry. Feeding should not be given until the fry are semi-free swimming. Then they should be fed very small "liquifry" or mini bloodworm etc. If anyone here wants blue rams or knows anyone who wants them etc, don't hesitate to ask for them as I am a breeder. I can do them cheaply and can provide fully grown or juvenile rams. I can also provide breeding couples and pairs do if anyone would like them, email me at Charles.J.Hammond@hotmail.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store