hobbyist

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shepherdchild

hobbyist
Mar 19, 2007
I live in Waco GA.
Hello I am new here. I have raised fish for a few years now and have never had this problem before. I got some Fancy Guppies all went real well for a while. I then got some more Guppies and added to the others , after I had added some stress coat. W hat seemed like over night they began dying one by one. Well, two of my preg. Guppies got caught in the plastic plants I had in the aquarium and I took the plants out. Well, I had three babies born now I have two babies one died. I took out half the water, replaced with fresh water adding stress coat, ick away beaceuse some had ick, but some were bulging which I thought could have been from the ick, added some aquarium salt which seemd to perk them up, but thie morning one of my two femals died, leaving me one male and one female and two babies. I took her outside and looked closely at her no spots, no swelling or bulging. Could some one please help me here. I have a Ph level of 5. Thanks in advance.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
There's a lot that could be going on based on your post. Could you please provide some tank specs/water parameters please? Do you treat the pH, or is that 'natural' tap conditions?

As for the Fry, they would find it hard pressed to survive in a tank with Ick, dropsy or anything else... :(

Unfortunately, if you had pregnant guppies and wanted to raise the frys you should have ensured that the new guppies added to the tank were parasite/disease free via QT first.

As for treatments, I would suggest one or the other not both. I personally like Salt for Ich.

EDIT: Here's the latest post and related link for treatment of ich: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102280

Make sure u are treating for the right illness...

shepherdchild

hobbyist
Mar 19, 2007
I live in Waco GA.
Hello. Sorryto be so late getting back, but our email hosts were down, and I had to go for epiduriel shots yesterday in the back of neck. So anyway for my fish tank... it is a 55 gallon one, with the double filters with the biodegradable filters, for water I used county water not well water, but any way my last preg. female died yesterday, still have one male guppy, teo babies, one snail, and two algea eaters. I can't figure out as to why the others are living when all the rest have died. PLEASE HELLLP, I'm just about ready to quit and start raising crickets, but I love the fish so much they are so relaxing and enjoyable.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Can you test the water and post the results? It sounds like there may be a problem with the water quality. Possibly some ammonia or nitrite in the water that can kill the fish especially the baby fry. Also if there is some parasite in the water the fry do not stand a chance against it. Test the water if you can and post back with the results. Then we can go from there to try to figure this out.

Marinemom

shepherdchild

hobbyist
Mar 19, 2007
I live in Waco GA.
Hey I guess my last post didn't go through. I went and bought a new water tester, everything is or was out of order, my pH low Alkaline low Hardness low Nitrite low Nitrate high, what I did was put in two teaspoons of pH Neuterlizer after I took out the filkters, and about five hours later I rechecked it again, got the all straightened out, except for the hardness and the nitrate. The only grown guppy I have left is acting goofey I guess since the pH is straghtened out and it isn't used to it, just don't know what to do about the filter, to add it back tonight, or leave it out and recheck in the a.m.. What should I do?

shepherdchild

hobbyist
Mar 19, 2007
I live in Waco GA.
Marinemom

Well after buying new water testers and taking out the filters, and adding twop teaspoons of pH Neutralizer and five hours later everything was almost back to wwhere it should be within limits except the water hardness. Added ten teaspoons of Stree/ezyme in the 55 gallon tank and let it run like that last night, I said well if they dies they die. This morning all is normal except the water hardness. I put the filters back in, I have bio, and charcoal filter, and an hour later all is the same, except the hardness. Any suggestions there? Thanks:laugh:

Last edited:

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
If you could include ur water parameters it would help us out a lot...
NitrItes, NitrAtes and Ammonia

Is the tank cycled???

It would also be helpful if your could test your water source as well.

As for the hardness, this could be off due to the salt added, or something else?

As for your pH, I wold really advise not playing with this if the fish have adjusted to it already. Any changes beyond 0.5 in a 24 hour period can be very very stressful and could easily kill a fish already stressed by an illness or recovering his/her strength. :(

As for the filters I hope you mean just the carbon? If not, I really hope you kept your sponge or pad in water to keep your bacteria cultures alive! :eek: If not, you will need to be very mindful of a mini-cycle while your colonies build back up (assuming your tank was cycled to begin with).

Just keep you NitrItes and Ammonia below 0.25.

This is way too much for the frys to survive through... :(

shepherdchild

hobbyist
Mar 19, 2007
I live in Waco GA.
Marinemom

Yes the water is cycled about 6 months with fish, with a 20 to 30 gallon water changed frquently weekly to bi-weekly changes, regulary syphone bottom and sides when I do half changes in water my container for the tests read normal Nitrate, 0.5 Nitrite, Hardness below 50 oH, within normal ranges, as for my filters as I said there are two bio, and two charcoal, one of each in each side of filtration area, it is double sided pump, rectangular 55 gallon aquarium, not a year old, hold 55 gal. of county or city water. I'm happy that I'm finally getting some better results, but would like to have even better, getting the hardness right.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
What is "normal" Nitrate? I mean, what is your ppm reading? and there's something wrong if you're getting any nitrIte reading at all in a tank that has been running for 6 months. Adding new fish could cause your tank to cycle again if you don't have very good filtration... Also, you didn't mention your ammonia level. What is that?

Also what is the gph rating of your filters? Have you changed the bio-media? (sponges, ceramic rings, bio-balls, whatever) Because that could cause a mini-cycle... Edit: just looked more closely at your previous posts... sorry. If you didn't keep the media wet you're probably going to have to go through a short cycle again. I'm not really even sure what kind of filter we're talking about though. What is the brand/model, or could you describe it? You should do a 50% water change immediately to bring the nitrite down to a safe level. .5ppm won't kill the fish right away but it stresses them making them more suceptible to disease.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store