#@$% everything died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coolisjade

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
I did a 10% h20 change last nigh cuz noticed my ntrate was around 5ppm-10ppm.

woke up this morning and my clown goby was breathing hard, wasnt sure what was wrong,fell back asleep and 5 minutes ago, everything was dead. clown goby, yellow wrasse, scooter blenny, crabs, etc...i think snails are still kicking.

nitrate ~ 20ppm, ammonia ~0, nitrite ~ 0.25, ph ~ 8.2

what the !@#$? so discouraging.

Neenie

Upgrade has arrived people!!
Jan 19, 2007
Romford, UK
Nitrites are a little high, was water change with RO water?

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
Ugh. I'm really sorry to hear that.

If you used tap, did you add a dechlorinator? Did the pH, temp and salinity match? It could have been the nitrite spike- was your tank fully cycled or did you add anything new recently?

Again, I really sorry for everything you lost.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Sorry to hear of your losses. NitrAtes are high but I'd also check your salinity and phosphates. I've had extreme NitrAtes in the past and my fish coped it was when I had problems with Phosphates that my fish died (the nitrAtes were fine by then).

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
A healthy fish can survive nitrATES that high for a period of time. I would be looking at checking the rest of the levels like temp, salinity, top up water...etc etc....i do feel for your loss, but, dont get discouraged. Get to the bottom of what has caused this and then you will be more wise to look for signs in the future...

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store