'False' Siamese Algae eater? PICS!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
I'm having difficulty identifying this one, so I shall pose this to the experts! :D

Here is the best resource I have found on these guys: http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

From 3 days of research and reading up on these guys the best I can surmise is a 'false' Siamese (Epalzeorhynchus sp. or Garra taeniata)...?

Oh yeah, as a side note: PetCo sold this to me as an Oto!!! :laugh: It wasn't until I got them into the tank that I noticed the slip...

If it is a CAE I will return him, but he is extremely active! I would even go so far as to say that he is more energetic than my Green-Golds! :eek:

Lastly, it wasn't until today that he has shown any of the black spots along his lateral body line. This is new. Usually the black line (and the thin white line above) is crisp and uninterupted...

DSC00658.jpg DSC00657.jpg

lazyNode

AC Members
Oct 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Without the black bumps , it looks like a Siamese Flying Fox I had....

Do you notice it eating any algae?

Last edited:

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
That is not a flying fox. Flying foxes and siamese algae eaters both have a middle band that extends all the way through the tail fin. Since the dark band on your fish stops at the tail fin, it is definetly a false siamese algae eater.

Don't expect it to eat any algae. These guys prefer flakes and other prepared foods.

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
From everyone I have talked to, I have 4 flying foxes, 1 CAE and 2 false siamese...

The fins all are opaque and w/out any tinting. The lateral line end abrubtly at the tail fin and is not "zig-zaggy" (love that term BTW :)) and he has a white line above this.

When I saw the black dots today I snapped a few picture b/c I thought I had this guy pegged, but know I don't know.

I know that there is a lot of variation, and I have heard many of you suggest the flying fox. I just don;t want an 11" terror in my tank after a year or so!

Thanks SO much for the replys!!! :D

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
I'd bet that that's a chinese algae eater. I have flying foxes, false SAE, and true SAE's, and that isn't any of them. 99.5% sure it's a CAE

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
This is a CAE, there is absolutely no way you have a CAE.

Don't worry, I guarantee you that is not a flying fox. It won't reach 11 inches, not even close. That is a false siamensis, 6 inches is as big as they get. They are not generally aggressive toward other fish, but they are very active and fun to watch because of it. They make pretty good bottom scavengers but will not eat algae in most cases. They also are very good jumpers.

drgold

AC Members
Mar 1, 2006
Wausau, WI
looks like we have a pi$$ing match. It is NOT a false SAE. fballguy, your second pic IS a false SAE. They are not the same.

The first pic doesn't work.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
yes I know the second pic is a false SAE.

I strongly believe the fish in question is a false SAE and I will continue to believe it until somebody convinces me otherwise. Simply telling me I am wrong will not convince me, or anybody else.

You have yet to explain and point out what makes this fish a CAE in your opinion.

I am going by the size of the sucker, which IMO is way too small for an SAE, which means IMO it is either SAE, false SAE, or flying fox. Seeing as the dark bar does not extend through the tail fin, it can only be false SAE imo.

I would not call this a pissing match. It is a debate. Debate is how people learn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store