convict and help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dmcm9465

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
hi all. i recently purchased a convict from a lfs and from what i have read it is small female convict, i currently have a 10gal in which i am housing the convict in until purchasing a new tank. i have had the convict for a week now and have noticed the convict acting strange, showing signs of fast rapid breathing what possibly is wrong. my ph is 7.0 and water quality is fine. also in my new tank approximatly 30gal what mates will be fine with a female convict. help is much appriciated as i am new and love this new hobby already

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll tell you this:

Convicts are very hearty fish. Mine have survived w/o a heater for years now, with temperatures in the tank ranging from low 70s in winter to low/mid 80s in the summer.

Convicts like hiding behind things. If you don't have a plant, rock, or piece of driftwood for him to hide behind, he isn't going to be happy.

:)

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
My cons almost always look like they are in need of oxygen. For some reason they are always flaring their gill covers and opening their mouths looking like they need more air. Don't know why, but the water is fine and so are they. Probably the best tank mate would be another convict, but beware, if it is a male you will have tons of babies in no time. They are the best parents and will chase almost ANYTHING out of their territory once they spawn. As stated, make sure they have hiding places like rock caves etc. and they will rearrange your substrate. Plants are not a good idea since they will destroy almost all of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store