Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 3:53 PM
    Blog Entries

What about holding a monthly contest on tank of the month?

Just a thought here, that here we have more then enough members to hold a contest on best tank system of the month. I don't know, im just thinking out loud here and its up to the site mods that if they figure on either just any type of species aquarium system or both, fish only (FO) or reef systems>

That person would explain their aquarium filtration system as well as live stock, as much on their tanks full background that they can offer the others>

Also, there be one guild line in this contest, that the tank has to been well established for a limited time period. Like two years or so and they as well owned the very same fish or corals>
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-02-2009 1:38 PM
    Why punish a person with a 6 month old tank in a contest like this. I think the idea is good but a lot of members start their tanks after joining and learning here. Should they really have to wait 2 years to enter a contest. Just my 2 cents, but I don't think that would be a fair rule. But once again a TOTM contest would be awesome!!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    Joe, don't you feel as bad for my two large reef tanks, I not even started stocking as yet. Also Joe, I feel that if members could see more of ones tank system up close and personal that they can become more inspired to do better themselves to be on the list of members tanks of the month hall of fame> its just an idea that perhaps the crew here might find appealing>
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    The idea here is that members could see your successs from the long term of a well kept marine aquarium>

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-02-2009 1:38 PM
    But what about the sucess of a proper cycle or haveing a coral for a few months without any loss?? There are many milestones in setting up and keeping a tank. I don't think the 2 year mark is fair, plus a rule like that would disqualify many tanks here!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    plus a rule like that would disqualify many tanks here!
    That's including my own reef tanks as well

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-15-2014 12:37 PM
    I'll join in with jojo here I don't think closing off tanks that are less than two years old would be fair...
    -Julian

Water is cold with ice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    I guess I best too explain myself in why the decision of not less then a two year old tank and must have pretty much the same live stock for im sorry, im old fashion. I look at success rather differently then some I see and I see success is better recognized from the long term of things, then in the short term to where success isn't acknowledge by having some fish for few moths or so.

Dork, you and the rest of the staff here, if you see this as an idea that could help this site draw in many new members in the future as well as the other thing I mentioned. Then perhaps your`re should decide on a vote among yourselves, in privates and that the outcome would be the decision and that it would be posted on how old/aged ones tank need to be to qualify for tank of the month. Also that the voting for tank of the month tanks, I suggest that the voting as well should be in private and staff members only.

Please make the right decisions here with this, for its a huge step in the right direction, but do note that my reef tanks will not be in the tank of the month for at least a whole year or more until they are well enough stocked which I no idea of when that will be.

For me dork, its the enjoyment of the tanks and stocking in which I love most and then I enjoy them when their complete with live stock. I have this massage chair that is electric with a cup holder and this chair is facing these tanks. That I will be reading and having a beer or glass of wine while relaxing and eyeing over the beauty of which had taking me all this time of waiting with a great deal of patience.

I just not wish to have a tank of the month that's not completed and im guessing that you do understand my feelings on my own tanks. Also, I will be reading while in this chair

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-15-2014 12:37 PM
    I know what your saying, and believe me, I'm not supporting any fish - havers. Any tank that is deemed good enough for tank of the month really has to have some special qualities and must, must be good example to new fish keepers (and even expierienced keepers), or atleast I will do everything in my power to make it that way. Tanks with mostly newly bought livestock are a very bad candidate for TOTM - anybody can do that. The tanks should be up long enough that the keeper has prooved that they can keep the tank in a thriving condition.

FWIW, my tanks will not be TOTM material for a LONG time... usually once my tanks start aproaching that stage, I'll upgrade, or change some of my tanks around. Stocking a tank, building up the equipment, aquascaping etc. is half the fun for me.
    Last edited by dorkfish; 03-23-2007 at 9:29 PM.
    -Julian

Water is cold with ice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    Julian, Amen! I rest my case

OOPS! Defense rest your honor

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information