Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The Dancing Banana wataugachicken's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-15-2012 5:13 PM
    Blog Entries
    yeah. . . things change. . . if i had stayed with my original 10g tank, that would be over 4 years, but tanks get bigger, fish and decor get added or changed, old fish die, substrate gets changed for something nicer, filters are upgraded when more money is available, etc. . . and that's just my own experience.

i agree that someone should not just set up a brand new tank for TOTM, but i don't think an actual time limit is a good idea - there are too many factors to consider as listed above. exactly what must be there and for how long? maybe three months is a better number, if there has to be a standard time for it.

i do like the idea of having maybe two contests each month - one general contest for everyone, and then another specific contest - planted tanks, betta tanks, african cichlids, FOWLR, reef tanks, species tanks, under 5g, over 125 g, etc. . . tanks within the heading of the specific contest that month can't be entered into the general category.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sushi_
    Petstores label common things all wooky, like they picked up a thesaurus, blindfolded the manager, and handed him/her a pin, and opened it up to random pages and VIOLA!! A "scientifical naming device!!"

Spooky Devil Puncher? Sounds great!! How about $21.99?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    01-07-2014 5:53 AM
    Blog Entries
    I don't see what the controversy here is.

So what if the tank has to be 2 years old? How is anybody going to judge that? There is no stopping anybody from saying that their tank they just got yesterday is 10 years old. There just is no way to judge the age of a tank.
    "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish."
    -Frank Dane

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    02-15-2011 8:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fballguy View Post
    I don't see what the controversy here is.

So what if the tank has to be 2 years old? How is anybody going to judge that? There is no stopping anybody from saying that their tank they just got yesterday is 10 years old. There just is no way to judge the age of a tank.

he does have a point, someone could simulate the age of their tank to seem older, by purchasing bigger fish and such.

Jay

P.S- but that would be unethical, and no one would ever even consider doing that
    if hard work pays off, the easy work is worthless.
    55 Discus tank
    75 gallon "operation reef transition"
    20L Discus QT/breeder
    20L freshwater community
    10L SW QT/hospital
    110 Currently empty

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-07-2013 6:22 PM
    The tanks should be up long enough that the keeper has prooved that they can keep the tank in a thriving condition.
    I'm sorry, I thought the proposal was for a TANK of the month, not fishkeeper of the month.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 3:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    I would have to say that im sorry for ever saying it for it might be that many of us here aren't ready for such an honor. I started out to say that I not wanted my reef tanks to be selected due to that their not be completed and I would have no idea on from the time I begin with the first coral and fish for both tanks, that it will much depend on the coral I buy at my LFS.

Like they have this large LPS trumpet coral that is priced at $200. But the thing be, im to begin stocking not just one reef tank, but two at the same time>

Also I would like to add that this is supposed too be a friendly thing which we should enjoy and that the only competitor be is ourselves on trying to do better then we ever done. But if this is to give off sparks, then just perhaps then, many here aren't ready for also I like to say, there be no entry on the TOTM. Our postings with photos will be all that the staff here at AC would ever need.

And the member they selected as TOTM, would then take other selected photos of their aquarium upon request from the staff and none of us will know of this until the day the TOTM deadline is to be. That their be a pic of each coral and fish that be in the TOTM that all would see.

Now im a person who forgets any number of things, and so is why I bought these two hard cover books to help me keep a record of the date/year I buy some coral or fish, etc. For as myself, it would never bother me if from the time of completion of my reef tanks if they not be pick as TOTM for even five years. For I already had been waiting to begin these tanks for more then 5.5 years and as yet, their still not been completed in the way I wanted them, and I will not begin anything with these tanks until they are both ready.

I can understand somewhat on how all like to be picked as TOTM, but also this suggest was not mentioned for my own personal benefit. It was like in one other site, they have a contest of the month of pic picture and the pic not need to be your own fish. Now some here seen the kind of pics my camera can take, I entered one time some photos and in the email sending to the one who controls this, I said that im only entering those pics but I no wish to be selected for that I thought it to be a ridiculous contest that you can enter any fish photos as long you took the pic.

Like I said many times, maybe im old fashion that something's I just dare not try like using baking soda or vinegar other then doing things the old fashion way, by water changes. Now note that I had this upon the first time I had the idea of these SPS tanks that I was now moving into new grounds. As busy as I am with my family and doctors and so, I will give this my all and move slowly and patiently and upon before beginning to stock , I will have a chat with the lfs person, who I know and tell him of what im looking for in corals and that if anything about the coral I not like, I will wait until the next piece comes in for I will not simply stock these tanks with available corals only just so I would be done with stocking my tanks.

I do hope that this be understood, for many times folks not understand everything that im trying to point out The confused face is because it sounds as some are bickering that their worried is they will ever be selected as TOTM. Do note that there happens to be more then 69,000 members here and in any year, only 12 TOTM there could be. You will note that I not said winners, for we are winners>
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-05-2012 5:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by necigrad View Post
    I'm sorry, I thought the proposal was for a TANK of the month, not fishkeeper of the month.
    So your saying it doesn't matter wether or not the tank is in a thriving condition? Your saying a tank full of sick livestock would be ok for TOTM? If the keeper is unabe to keep thier tank in a good condition, either by good old anual maintenance, new devices wich maintain/help maintain the tank and possibly some help from a local tank maintenance company (these people would have to be gaven credit for thier work), then said tank is never going to be TOTM, unless by some wierd 1 in a 1000 fluke.
    -Julian

Water is cold with ice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-03-2010 1:44 AM
    Why not just have more than one category ? Member less than 6 months, member 6 months to a year and member 1 to 2 years. If someone has more experience and tells us that their tank is 7 that's fine to how would we know and why would we care.
    just my 2 cents
    Max
    Don't miss our monthly live chat! Be there or be square!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 3:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    If someone has more experience and tells us that their tank is 7 that's fine to how would we know
    One thing I know is that there is always one person here or there that will make false claims such as tank age and so on. Also know that (This I not know as yet myself) I will search the threads for those who's reef tanks been thriving for a good number of years and not just 5-7 months. As well in this when I do begin my reef tanks, that it wouldn't be anywhere under five years for them to become noticeable by the staff to vote on which is something I know and understand for even if I have them stock enough in a years time, they still would require time to become notice on if my systems be thriving or not.

Like you said, of what of the more experience hobbyist? This my friend is truly a tricky thing, for the hobby as I see it, anything can happen what`re its a novice or experience hobbyist and that it takes much background in the hobby to own the perfect aquarium. As I said, I will be in new waters once I begin these tanks and I in no way know what to expect other then I will do all the things which I been through the years. Of course, I not do F/O tanks anymore and if there were some problem that I couldn't get the extra lines in my house, I would had gone with eels only. I would had gotten two pairs of dragon morays for the 180, and a yellowhead and blackedge morays for the 240.

Member less than 6 months, member 6 months to a year and member 1 to 2 years
    Also you would find that kind of an idea is not feasible for you can never judge ones from a few years apart because not all learn as well as they should and would continue unfortunately in having developing problems. Also upon ever starting the idea of TOTM, AC has to have any number of members that already qualify as TOTM. We can begin there on the idea of building a TOTM club, and following those will be all of those who are less known to many here, and in time any of our tanks would become noticed as a possible TOTM material.

Max, There is a difference as well from a soft coral tank Then SPS corals, for soft corals under VHO lighting are for easier to maintain, that is at least my insight. And just between us Max, I not expect to make it as TOTM for at least seven years, but hopefully by the time I hit eighty Also, I do everything myself, that the only thing I not think I would manage is when corals would need to be cut to make frags, which I will bring over Jeff and pay him for it. I will not be able to reach in like that or so> I just not know if I can
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-07-2013 6:22 PM
    What I'm suggesting is that it's a tank of the month, and the stocking is not as important. There should be a requirement that the tank be habitble, and probably stocked, but that's all. One could make an awesome tank with no filter, pumps, or anything else, and it would look great. But that should not be acceptable as it cannot support life. to be a tank worthy of recognition one would need a tank with al necessary components. Personally, with my limited experience, I think a tank that has had some time to "grow in", especially with planted and reefs, will look far better then a tank just thrown together yesterday. If someone can set up a tank and submit a winning pic tomorrow, they should be eligable.

This contest, according to the title, is simply about the tank. It's kinda like sports. You cnbuild a winning team, but you must do it within certian limits and guidelines. You must have a pitcher on a baseball team (and I think you need 2 or 3). You must be within your salary caps. Things like that provide scope and conditions, actually furthering the spirit of the contest.

Aswas also mentioned, people wll cheat. Pretty stupid, but it will happen. By limiting the restrictions as much as possible, you limit the need to cheat, and thus limit the cheating. By allowing anyone to enter, and the winner being only on the visible merits, there is a lesser risk of manipulation.

OK, that was kinda a ramble, but I think you get th eidea. And yeah, pardon the typos, my laptop sucks :-(

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-05-2012 5:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by necigrad View Post
    What I'm suggesting is that it's a tank of the month, and the stocking is not as important. There should be a requirement that the tank be habitble, and probably stocked, but that's all. One could make an awesome tank with no filter, pumps, or anything else, and it would look great. But that should not be acceptable as it cannot support life. to be a tank worthy of recognition one would need a tank with al necessary components. Personally, with my limited experience, I think a tank that has had some time to "grow in", especially with planted and reefs, will look far better then a tank just thrown together yesterday. If someone can set up a tank and submit a winning pic tomorrow, they should be eligable.

This contest, according to the title, is simply about the tank. It's kinda like sports. You cnbuild a winning team, but you must do it within certian limits and guidelines. You must have a pitcher on a baseball team (and I think you need 2 or 3). You must be within your salary caps. Things like that provide scope and conditions, actually furthering the spirit of the contest.

Aswas also mentioned, people wll cheat. Pretty stupid, but it will happen. By limiting the restrictions as much as possible, you limit the need to cheat, and thus limit the cheating. By allowing anyone to enter, and the winner being only on the visible merits, there is a lesser risk of manipulation.

OK, that was kinda a ramble, but I think you get th eidea. And yeah, pardon the typos, my laptop sucks :-(

Actualy, now that you elaborate on that, it does sound like a good idea, since the staff would be choosing wich tank makes it further standards would be aplied.
    -Julian

Water is cold with ice.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information