Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 4:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    The thing on thinking that some would cheat, this TOTM will have no entry form, The staff will not be asking for entries for TOTM> That the staff will select among themselves a TOTM and PM or email this member for an assortment of photos and data on the tank equipment setup. Nothing will be said of who's tank is TOTM until the day this is scheduled to be posted, in which the staff will do themselves.

I'm sorry guys on one thing, that I disagree with the thought that a reef tank is thriving. Like maybe soft corals or ones tank that was stocked in a rather quick/fast time frame for I cannot consider that my tanks are thriving well in such a short time for im expecting it that the least amount of time I would have two tanks stocked well enough is in 18 months. With that, I can never consider that these tanks are well thriving for which they will still be considered, young in progress.

So Julian, You and the rest of the staff make a note under my name that upon the time of stocking that I figure not less then five years to have any thriving reef aquariums in which is the lowest point in time and as greater as seven years in which many would know that they are thriving well.

For like I said, im old fashion and what Im saying of my own tanks, not need to apply to others. Its OK, Honest for I do the hobby and all I have done through the years for my own personal enjoyment and nothing more then that.

And yes, I am expecting these tanks to look beautiful in a year, but its the thriving part that im to be concern of if any problems were to come up and this takes a bit more in years I think to realize that these tanks are truly thriving. Don`t forget that im going yo have many corals that I only thought to having from viewing other members tanks.
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

I shoot people with a Canon Reefscape's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Blinky
    Last Activity
    Today 2:33 AM
    Blog Entries
    suggested this to one of the mods a bit ago actually....i think it would be great to have things like this running on a monthly basis...gives some nice incentive to people to snap some awsome shots....

Niko
    Quote Originally Posted by neoprodigy View Post
    its always Niko's Fault!... Thanks Niko!

The Dancing Banana wataugachicken's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-15-2012 6:13 PM
    Blog Entries
    That the staff will select among themselves a TOTM and PM or email this member for an assortment of photos and data on the tank equipment setup.
    I think that's a bad idea. when people submit their own entries and are voted upon by the general population of AC, then it is much more fair and democratic than just the mods doing it *secretly*. we'd be overrrun by claims of personal popularity contests and bias. i get posts deleted once a month, and have a pretty smart mouth. i'd hate to have my tanks overlooked because a mod or two doesn't like me personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sushi_
    Petstores label common things all wooky, like they picked up a thesaurus, blindfolded the manager, and handed him/her a pin, and opened it up to random pages and VIOLA!! A "scientifical naming device!!"

Spooky Devil Puncher? Sounds great!! How about $21.99?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-11-2008 6:44 AM
    I agree with you wataugachicken. The vote should be open to ALL members.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    09-15-2014 1:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wataugachicken View Post
    i'd hate to have my tanks overlooked because a mod or two doesn't like me personally.
    How about if the tanks are nominated by members? Having the tanks voted on by members could actually end up being an even bigger population contest.

BTW, even though I would flame any mod who decides to try and bar somebody from tank of the month becuase they don't like somebody, you should know who's fualt that is if a mod doesn't like you However with some other contests we have here, a member can be barred becuase of thier behavior (however, I think this is one contest where members should be exempt from that-it's about the tank and how good a keeper the person is not how they act on AC).

Or another spin on this, again, tanks are nominated by members, then the nominated tanks are screened by mods (to knock of any tanks wich are bad examples and/or to knock down the numbers a bit) then voted on by members.
    -Julian

Water is cold with ice.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 4:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    Like one here said that how we know if the tank is two years old or more that one could simply say that it is, and the idea of members simply to nominate the TOTM, that too can be, how I put this? that others could PM or email asking those to pick their tanks.

If it will be under that method, that members will nominate the TOTM, I not will enter it then for I feel that it will then turn into a circus and that too will be for more unfair to many others then to just one person.

I not believe that a mod on what`re they like a person or not, that it should have that mod in question to be so unfair to any member. As well, a moderator is to take no sides other then from right or wrong. So wataugachicken, I believe if your a thriving aquarium system, you have as many rights to be one of those who be selected for TOTM.

Maybe im wrong, but I feel that any number here or at any forum site could get a PM or email being asked to vote for them, I do feel that this takes place in all forums with a open vote to all. It is why I said that their be no entries or a members vote that the staff here will be honest and direct with the best possible tank as TOTM. It needs to be made fair to all, and not just for the few.

So Julian, If I may say that in all honesty, that it would be best handled behind closed doors, Staff Only

Im sorry fellow hobbyists that if this goes against most to what you all want
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

BobsTropicalPlants.com Mgamer20o0's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Moderators
    M.A.N. Community Vendors
    you would spend day and days pming people trying to get them to vote on your pic. AC has 69,439 Members

how can anyone know if the tank is over 2 years old or not.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-07-2013 7:22 PM
    Why not have the mods get together and select the ten best entries, and present those to the members for voting via a poll or somethng? The mods would be able to select pics usign the criteria they develop. From that list, the #1 pic is the winner, and #2-5 roll over to the next month, along with 6 other pics. The biggest problem I see is keeping track of what pics have won before. Perhaps limit a user to only one win. All the pictures could possibly be submitted to a TOTM thread, and then each month the mods would selct from that. I would also suggest a user be limited to only one submission. Should the user want to submit a different one they can, so long as the revious one had not been selected i the past. That could be chaned by editing the post maybe.

I shoot people with a Canon Reefscape's Avatar
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Real Name
    Blinky
    Last Activity
    Today 2:33 AM
    Blog Entries
    I would probably tend to agree with bits of what was said above that members are allowed one vote on any one tank, then, the top ten ranked tanks can then be put up for a poll by the members..I dont so much like the idea that #2-5 would be carried over till next month though as this will then be limiting a lot of new members tanks for getting in to the top 10 poll..your only leaving 6 spots available...each 10 that go to a poll should be done everytime, favouritism could end up playing a part..

Agree that the winner is not allowed to be entered into the next month as i dont think a tank of the month is about a single person dominating the comp which would potentially happen..

Agree with what julian also said about problematic members, that its not the member being voted on here, its the tank and setup itself...the way a members personality comes across on the board does not neccesarily bear any reflection on how good a tank keeper they are...

Hope some of this has made a little sense...

Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by neoprodigy View Post
    its always Niko's Fault!... Thanks Niko!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-03-2014 6:17 PM
    the TOTM comp is being discussed very soon by all staff members at our next meeting.
    we will look at all aspects and take on all opinions stated here.
    personally i prefer both staff and member input and will make sure that it is not a popularity contest and that these comps have nothing to do personality and everything to do with whether i like them or not, LOL JK.
    anyway we will get back to you all soon the POTM is next so everyone get ready for that.
    Dixon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information