Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 3:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    you would spend day and days pming people trying to get them to vote on your pic
    Nobody would do anything as that, but rather would or could with those one consider to be friends with.

necigrad, the staff would see all members tanks in the forums and from there they can request a better tank shot from any member so that they best can judge.As well as for your concerns on becoming the TOTM a second time will and should not happen. It is why one reason I said of my own reef tanks that when they are a year old are two, are by no means TOTM material. For me to have a thriving reef system, it take years. Of course the tanks would always nice and all.
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl Lady G's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea, and having mod's choose 10 best tanks...I think members names should be left off the poll/voting post though. This could lessen the "favortisim" toward whoever may be in the contest. Then once the winner is chosen the tank and name of the member could be posted.
    The happiest of people dont necessarily have the best of everything; They just make the most of everything they have. So Live it up, Laugh loudly, & Love deeply

Quote Originally Posted by IceH2O View Post
    I hear Mr Zaffy will give you a dollar if you pull his finger.

My fish are my babies Germanman's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-05-2010 2:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gstoffer View Post
    I like the idea, and having mod's choose 10 best tanks...I think members names should be left off the poll/voting post though. This could lessen the "favortisim" toward whoever may be in the contest. Then once the winner is chosen the tank and name of the member could be posted.
    lots of people can recognize other members aquariums...i can recognize a good amount myself. the top 10 idea sounds good though that and a poll.
    Ah...its been awhile!

I wish I was a fish I wish. Que's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-23-2014 9:55 AM
    Blog Entries
    Not only will you need to have a nice tank set-up but you'll have to be a good photographer too. Some of us just cant seem to get a good photo of our tanks. This honor of TOTM will mean more than just a nice tank.

I think if someone were to whip a setup together for an entry into TOTM that'd be a hell of a lot of effort for a little recognition.

Yes there are thousands of members but how many have accessed AC or posted in the last few months?

I think this is a nice idea for those who want to do it but it doesn't really matter much to me. I'd like to see some nice tanks and set-ups but I wont be competing.

Q

The Dancing Banana wataugachicken's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-15-2012 5:13 PM
    Blog Entries
    what about post count instead of length of time the tank has been running. say if the minimum post count is 250 or something (minus obvious trolling and only posting in General chit-chat) then you can at least see that the member has been a contributor to this forum and should hopefully know better than to fake tanks, etc. . . to win the contest.

do posts in general chit-chat go towards post count?
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sushi_
    Petstores label common things all wooky, like they picked up a thesaurus, blindfolded the manager, and handed him/her a pin, and opened it up to random pages and VIOLA!! A "scientifical naming device!!"

Spooky Devil Puncher? Sounds great!! How about $21.99?

My fish are my babies Germanman's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-05-2010 2:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wataugachicken View Post
    what about post count instead of length of time the tank has been running. say if the minimum post count is 250 or something (minus obvious trolling and only posting in General chit-chat) then you can at least see that the member has been a contributor to this forum and should hopefully know better than to fake tanks, etc. . . to win the contest.

do posts in general chit-chat go towards post count?
    doesnt work really u can spend one day and make 1000 post if u comment on each photo on ac bad way to tell.
    Ah...its been awhile!

The Dancing Banana wataugachicken's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-15-2012 5:13 PM
    Blog Entries
    as i said, minus obvious trolling.
    that would be trolling, and personally i don't think that the picture forums, classified ads, or general chit-chat should count towards post count. only the advice forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Sushi_
    Petstores label common things all wooky, like they picked up a thesaurus, blindfolded the manager, and handed him/her a pin, and opened it up to random pages and VIOLA!! A "scientifical naming device!!"

Spooky Devil Puncher? Sounds great!! How about $21.99?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    you'll have to be a good photographer too. Some of us just cant seem to get a good photo of our tanks
    I don't know about you but you can speak about yourself if that's you for it would much depend on the camera and how you use it>

what about post count instead of length of time the tank has been running.
    Why you say in post count? For one thing, post count not mean anything other then that you have been here longer or posted more then the next person>

doesnt work really u can spend one day and make 1000 post if u comment on each photo on ac bad way to tell.
    I seen many members in a good number of forums and the majority of their post count is from not saying anything on the topic itself. Much with almost any number of people post worthless chit-chat only

personally i don't think that the picture forums, classified ads
    We can post our tanks in our own threads, keep any updates in that same threads which any member here starts. And with that, the staff here can and will be able to come to resolving which should be tanks of the month. It is about the only way without some here sending PM to one the staff to make sure if they saw their tanks. Simply post and if anything, you be the first to know of it for im sure that also the staff will request up close shots, so get yourself a micro lens. Also if your contacted to be the TOTM, your to say nothing until the post is put up by the staff.

Buddy ><{{{{">
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

I wish I was a fish I wish. Que's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    11-23-2014 9:55 AM
    Blog Entries
    Quote:
    you'll have to be a good photographer too. Some of us just cant seem to get a good photo of our tanks
    I don't know about you but you can speak about yourself if that's you for it would much depend on the camera and how you use it>
    Well yeah... my point is out of the thousands of registered users there are a few out here who may not be able to put a decent photo together... no good photo... no chance at tank of the month... or is there?

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    Blog Entries
    I guess there that the staff would have to figure out something that if it be some sort of problem in which could possibly disqualify any member tanks as TOTM material, But also not all of us have the type of camera to doing so to have the ability to take up close shots and as well that the pictures would be perfect. For Im hearing where your coming from, being that this would be many members concerns, I think that one the staff rulings as TOTM be that the shots be clear as the next person and if they not a micro lens, then that the staff needs to be able to get pictures to get around it.

That means that it not be that you must have the type of camera in which needs to take a picture as this one:

For not everyone will get these type of close ups:

Not nearly half the members here have the type of lens for those up close shots which says, the staff needs to accept photos for TOTM as long as their clear enough to make it fair for most here. I cannot ask them to accept pictures that folks like myself would need far better reading glasses in order to even tell what's in the picture. They will in this decide what be fair enough all around.

That as long we all can tell what's in the tank, as well, the TOTM will as well have a listing of the corals and fish, etc

TOTM shouldn`t be just a photo of the tank and that's it, as well some background data on the person with the TOTM. Like how they became interested coming into the hobby and their background on their experiences telling all on anything which lead them in the direction that brought them to become AC TOTM.

I hope that its clear enough to be understood in all that im suggesting for you people see, if I myself were to never be doing those reef tanks which I had from the first thought to do them about 11-12 years ago, and I began putting those thoughts into reality by making it happen. Only thing for me with all that, I should had took up a cheaper hobby for between both reef tanks so far nears in cost at $30,000 and im not done yet for there will be a few more thousand yet to finish these tanks, and much more then that for live stock, YIPES My hand is out for Donations .

OH, I forgot> I bought the camera I have because, and only because of the reef tanks I been paying and planning, if I stayed with eels only, I not believe that I go out and spend more then $3,000. Also in the camera are for me, im not done there as yet for I need to buy me a third lens and power flash and how long after that, I'm to get me a digital camcorder.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information