Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-29-2013 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    I know what your saying, and believe me, I'm not supporting any fish - havers. Any tank that is deemed good enough for tank of the month really has to have some special qualities and must, must be good example to new fish keepers (and even expierienced keepers), or atleast I will do everything in my power to make it that way. Tanks with mostly newly bought livestock are a very bad candidate for TOTM - anybody can do that. The tanks should be up long enough that the keeper has prooved that they can keep the tank in a thriving condition.

FWIW, my tanks will not be TOTM material for a LONG time... usually once my tanks start aproaching that stage, I'll upgrade, or change some of my tanks around. Stocking a tank, building up the equipment, aquascaping etc. is half the fun for me.
    so my new setup with old fish(3 years old) wouldn't qualify? that would be a bs rule.
    a little education and a lot of imagination goes a long way

150 g-african community

my fish pix...
    http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...ish/?start=all

Usergroup
    AC Members
    how about break out a coupla categories - accomodate new set-ups, accomodate newbies etc

I stress that I am not so proud of my efforts that I would be entering

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-26-2008 9:39 AM

Good idea

Hey Coler.
    Nice to see you here.
    You answered some of my questions on Aquatic Community.

Seems you like the way I do things on my forum. I guess they will work well here also.

I am Cichlid_man over there :-)
    75 gallon tank
    AquaClear 110 - Penguin 350 - NO CARBON
    Two 8" Plecos-4 Rainbow Sharks-8 Lemon Tetra
    Ceramic Rings and floss

Under the Sea, in an Octopuses Garden in the Shade - JOE C.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    howdy...I am a sporadic visitor over there

Curiouser and Curiouser... Kyohti's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-26-2007 12:45 PM
    Ideas for Categories...

3-12 months under 50 gallons
    3-12 months over 50 gallons
    ~~~~~~
    2 years and up under 50 gallons
    2 years and up over 50 gallons
    ~~~~~~
    400 gallons and up (no age limit)
    Nano (8 gallons and under)
    Wild Card

That way newcomers have a chance to show off their stuff as well as older established aquariums... and the under 50 class will give a spectacular example for those who don't have a lot of tank to show them what can be done with limited space. And let's be honest... bigger tanks can win easier than smaller ones BECAUSE they can offer better variety and 'mood', right? It's easier to get lost in the visual splendor of a planted 250 than a similarly planted 20, right?

Nano category is for the college-student, the office worker, or the nano hobbyist who don't have the space for anything bigger, or feel their little betta palace is the best on the block! Again giving examples of what great things can be done with limited space.

400 gallons isn't something a lot of people have, but it's impressive to see all the same. And we can dream, right?

Wild Card could be considered 'honorable mention' or it can be any tank that was different or had something unique going on, but just wasn't good enough to make TOTM this time around. WildCard would also not always have to be chosen each month, but would be awarded whenever appropriate.

The winner of each category can keep that title for 3 months in a row, max (in case there's some slow months where there aren't a lot of good entries sent in)

And once you win, you have to wait another 3 months to enter another tank of the same size (as in if you have two 30 gallon tall setups and one 55 and you win with one of the 30s, you'd have to wait 3 months to enter the other 30, but you could enter the 55.)

I also think that people who choose to use fake plants should get a fair shake in the contest as long as their overall composition and design for their aquarium are outstanding. Fake will never look as good as the real thing... but it'd be unfair to penalize someone for not wanting the hassle of live plants.
    "You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one."
    ~ Henry D. Thoreau
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
    ~ Albert Einstein

Curiouser and Curiouser... Kyohti's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    08-26-2007 12:45 PM
    Also as far as age of tanks... yes, it cannot be proved. Yes, someone could win who wasn't qualified. People cheat. But you're taking away from the focus here. This is tank of the month. Tank of the month is a beautfully composed aquarium with good aesthetics, a well balanced community of fish, and the essential parts necessary to sustain this environment (aka filter, heater, lighting etc).

The person has to provide stats on the tank and a bit of it's history. If you're a good judge, you can see where something maybe doesn't jive and weed out some of the imposters. As for the rest... if they win they win. They were good enough to fool you and will probably fool everyone. If they brag about faking it later, ban them permanently from the contest. That's all you can do, right?

Even if they just threw it together overnight, if it looked and was composed well enough that you felt it was a good elective for tank of the month, then they must have been doing something right.

So it goes by the honor system. I saw where someone said there should be a general and a special category, the special being different each month? Or that can be the WildCard category I was talking about, too.
    "You cannot dream yourself into a character: you must hammer and forge yourself into one."
    ~ Henry D. Thoreau
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
    ~ Albert Einstein

Usergroup
    AC Members
    i agree 100%

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-02-2013 11:08 AM
    the type of fish i keep tetras rummies goo-boos most only live a year and a half to two years.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    12-10-2012 8:19 PM
    95% of the time the more expensive tanks will win.
    I'd say make prize give aways random, people with $5000.00 tanks I'm sure won't care about small prizes.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    03-25-2012 3:53 PM
    Blog Entries
    I not commented for a while for as well as all that, I been extremely busy. But as far as the age of a members reef tank, that can only be proved from the hobbyist beginning thread(s) on their tank. But as for winning due to only the tank is a more expensive setup, that isn't really all as true for you need to know that there are people out there who would tell you that you not need the most expensive in setup to have a troubling reef system. You just need the proper equipment for your tank size and the bio load you will have. Also, you can have an expensive setup as was said and not do as well, so what would been the big deal on spending? None at all.

But to buy cheap wise all the way or as to say the not so proper equipment for your tank, this will fail above all in having a TOTM. I mean the tank might look as its doing great for a while while in its starting months, but long term, it will be fail.

95% of the time the more expensive tanks will win.
    I'd say make prize give aways random, people with $5000.00 tanks I'm sure won't care about small prizes.
    The only tanks I have the cost $5K or less is my 40 gal QT. But as for the prize, I could pass on it for yes, it may be something that I can use. But the idea for the most part is the enjoy the hobby and to show others to what you have and tell their methods to what you success is base on.

Also, I seen many of those with reef tanks that they failed much sooner, only because they had no patience.

Buddy
    Im a stroke survivor, but had to quit the hobby do to my further damaging disabilities

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information