Malaysian Trumpet Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hi guys,

Recently, I found that I have some MTS in my tank. First it started as one tiny one when I bought a fish, and now, there's 1 big one, and around 10 small ones. In my tank there is algae, plants, and fish. I have some praecox rainbow's, an oto, and some neon's. Will the MTS be useful in my tank, or bad. Like will they eat my plants?

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
nope they wont eat plants and they will be helpful by keeping pockets of gas forming in the gravel. they are a burrowing snail so u will hardly see the bigs in the day time, but when lights are out u can get a good estimate of how many u have. u also wont see any eggs cause they are live bearers. to feed em i usually drop in my tank some cucumber slices or algae wafers once a week . great sanil to have and always fun to see em move below the gravel

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks a lot guys! I did check last night when it was dark, and there were many! During day I only see some small ones usually on my java moss.

IndianaSam

AC Members
Mar 13, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I added one to my 75g tank over a month ago and hoped to see more. I have yet to see any. Is it possible my water is too acidic or hot for it to reproduce?

82°F
pH: 6.5
I use peat moss in the filter (planted Discus tank)
The temperature should be fine. The pH might be a little low, but it's probably not too low.

You should add more than one MTS. Chances are that it's still alive and had reproduced, but your tank is pretty large relative to the size of an MTS. You may simply not be seeing it.

If you come to the PAPAS club meeting this Sunday, I could bring some for you.

Sam

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store