Question about keeping my damsel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I have a 4 stripped damsel that is sooo full of personality..When I added another damsel she ran him all over the tank for a few days then left him alone.Ok question here is.I am going this weekend to get a cleaner crew and I wont to add two baby clowns.I know she may run them.But I don't wanna get rid of her.So is there anything I can do to limit her meanness to the clowns so that I can keep her..
I was gonna add the clowns after I turn the light off and then in the morning when the light comes on..wow two fish appeared over night..I thought that night help..Any advice,,ideas here??

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
your solution to leaving the lights off is always a course of action that i would suggest anyway when introducing new fish to a tank...Be carefull not to stock too fast...i would suggest at least 3 week gap between adding a fish from that last one...

You are more than likely to get aggressiveness from the damsels, they are nasty little buggers and even though they may look a beautifull fish, i would seriously take them back. I know you dont want to do that, but that is just my opinion...

Niko

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
What size is the tank?
If the damsel you have is that aggressive, adding young, small clowns could be a mistake. If it was me, I'd decide which I want more -- the damsel or the two clowns -- and only keep one or the other.

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
There really isn't much you can do. You could try moving some of the liverock around so all fish feel as if they have been introduced to a new home and find their own areas. However damsels are very hard to keep with other fish unless you have a large tank, 55G+.

Good luck :)

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I'm afraid I've got to agree with Niko (and everyone who beat me to the post) about the damsel. My damsel was my very first fish so I got really fond of him but he got so aggressive I took him back to my LFS and he wouldn't even credit me coz he hates them so much!!! Usually the bigger they get the more aggressive they get. I know that's not the answer you're looking fo hun but theat's my experince of a *&%$£*? damsel!!

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I knew that was what I was gonna have to do..But I hate it..lol.She is a total witch and I love her..I placed a shell on one the the rock..took me 5 minutes with a pair of tongs to get the shell right where I wonted it and she spent the next 10 minutes picking at it till she knocked it off in to the the sand..Then she was happy..
The LFS I bought them at will give me credit they told me that when i bought them,so That wasn't a worry just getting rid of her is gonna kill me..
I wont the baby clowns more than I wont her,yes..So I guess I will take her back and I know I wil cry but I will live..Thank you all so much..

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
Thank you..The thoughts of getting rid of her makes me tear up..She is such a little witch that you can't help but like her..But I have my heart sat on the clowns..I searched and searched for a place that had really nice fish and tank raised clowns and finally found one..
Lol.Cat I know..I dread trying to catch her..but then I am thinking if she is that hard to catch I may not feel so bad about letting her go..lol

Sevenstar

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
I know its hard decision to make. I had similar experience. My icon is a picture of my previous damsel that I had. But I also had to decide between that or a clownfish. I was afraid my clownfish wouldn't have much personality, especially when I first got it, but I was wrong. My clownfish is actually more outgoing than my was damsel. He comes towards anything that goes in the tank and loves to investigate. Oh and almost nothing can beat the clownfish's swim motion. I love that cute butt wiggle ^^

And my damsel actually wasn't extremely hard to get out. Mine was a pig so I was able to catch him with food. My freshwater platy was actually harder to catch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store