lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skip_16157

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Beaver Falls, PA
yahoo.com
I have a 55 gal tank. My hoods came with 18" 15 watt bulbs. My local store told me to buy 2 corallife 20,000k bulbs. I have a condy anemone now and was told to get better lighting. These bulbs were about $30 each. What do I need to do considering my 2 seperate hoods. I have a divider in the middle of these hoods. I want to have the appropriate lighting for the future considering all situations. Could anyone give me some examples of products.

Also what is the best way to buy live rock and is it hard to prepare before putting it in the tank. My local stores have it for $7 a lb. If I buy this is there a special procedure to put it in my tank.

Last edited:

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
While technically anemones do not ABSOLUTELY REQUIRE lighting at all, I for one still advocate using generous amounts of light with them, and I'll tell ya this, it doesn't matter what bulbs you buy for your hoods they are far from generous all things considering. If I were you, I'd scrap the hoods you have and go with a wooden canopy or at least an overhanging fixture to add a new lighting system. You can't use the hoods you have if you want an upgraded lighting system, unless you buy the power compact bulbs and ballast that can be retrofitted into your lightstrips.

I'd go for 2 250W metal halides...probably 10,000K. Since I've never used these I'm not super informed on vendors or brands anymore...I'll leave that for you to further research. You could also do like me and get an IceCap 660 ballast and 4 VHO flourescent bulbs...that will generate 440 Watts of light if you wanna keep track. I've used this on my tank for years now and love it...but it's not really a reef at all either.

Ooops, missed the live rock question. Well $7/lb is a bit on the higher side in my case, but I guess still somewhat normal. Buying it online however would be a better route as you usually can get much better rock (unless you have a really good lfs) and it is often cheaper. Whatever you do, DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR TANK IMMEDIATELY! Some of the life on the rock will die off in transit and can pollute your tank when you add it. You will want to put it in a separate tank or container for at least a few weeks and monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate values. Once the rock has cycled, then you can slowly add some to the tank. If you didn't already have animals in there, you could just add it all right away and allow the whole tank to cycle. This, however, is not good for your anemone. You will want to do this with your rock even if you buy "pre-cycled" rock, as more stuff will prolly die off on it's way to your house.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store