Brown stuff growing on inside of wet/dry filter tubes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wrc1045

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
Hello I have a tank that has been set up for about three or so months.

75 gallon with the the larger fish. I have noticed that there is brown stuff growing on inside of wet/dry filter tubes. Also really minor on the rocks and plants. Just wondering if this will solve itself with regualr cleanings and water changes. Should I tear down the filter/tube and clean each one one at a time or so.

Everything else looks good though. These fish are growing fast. prpbally an inch in the last 3 months.

Thanks for your time.

wrc1045

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
I updated my signature on my tanks

Bobnova

Apr 11, 2006
Brown algae-ish stuff is a small animal called a Diatom, or really a few thousand/million of 'em.

They're little tiny silica-shelled thingies that do some photosynthisis.

You'll have that coating untill they run out of silica, then they'll go away.
Unless you have heavy enough loading that enough silica comes in via food/waste and water changes.

It's certainly nothing to worry about.

Beasts

Beasts
Jan 15, 2007
The biggest problem is that the coating on your filter tubes will definitely decrease your flow rate. I use an appropriately sized sponge, cloth or brush tied to a string and allow the water flow to pull it into the tube and then pull it back out. Be real careful that it doesn't reach the impeller - that could be an expensive mistake. Only a stiff handled brush will work on the discharge side of the pump, of course.
Beasts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store