Starting a New Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
bemiddy

posted November 19, 2002 11:27 PM IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As u can see i wanna start a marine tank!
I have about 5 years of cichlid experience and have moved to school and can;t really take a monster tank.. (I have heard you can have a nice 10 gal SW tank).
what is the smallest tank that i should start out in as a beginner? would a 20 gal be a good start? what would i need for basic filtration? i want something simple that won;t need 2 hours of mantinence a day..lol..
what should i start out with fish-wise? or should i try live coral? or???

i imagine that there are some good faq.s out there but where?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!
bemiddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TriggerPuff

posted November 20, 2002 12:24 AM IP: Logged

Well I am in school also and I just started up a SW tank. I started out with a 50 gal, because my wife and wanted more "cool" fish. I think that you could do a 10 gal but it will take more maintenance then a larger tank because you would have to change the water more frequently. Honestly I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 30 gal, but if you really wanted to do a 10 or 20 you can. Fish all depends on what you want. Clowns are always a good choice (after you cycle the tank of course) I have read and been told that the larger tank you have the less maintenance. Personally I would go with the largest tank that you are allowed. Also consider what you will do for filtration whether it be live rock, or some other filter. If I had to do it all over again I would definitely go with more live rock. I only have 8 lbs of live rock in a 50 gal tank. I should have 60-70 lbs. Someday Anyway hope this helps and let me know what you decide!!
Codeman

bemiddy

posted November 20, 2002 01:54 AM IP: Logged

thanks...
If i could use a larger tank i would but right now i am living in a college residence and we technically aren;t allow pets.. i can sneak in a 20 gallon tank but a 50 would be tough..lol..and I wouldn;t mind having to change water once or twice a week either.
so if i use say 30 pounds of live rock in a 20 gallon this is all the filteration i would need? i assume i would need a powerhead? or?

I am only looking to have 1 or 2 small fishes like some clowns or ? just something simple, and easy to take care of.
would i need snalls or crabs or? anything else to clean the tank?
what about corals? what is hardy?
this is a first effort i don;t wanna kill stuff off by not knowing what i am doing.
Bemiddy

TriggerPuff

posted November 20, 2002 09:45 AM IP: Logged

Well I have heard that with the appropriate amount of live rock in you tank that is all the filtration that you need. Someone else will correct me if I am wrong. I am pretty sure that is right. LOL I live in married housing in college and the single dorms here will allow up to a 20 gal. Are you sure that you can't have fish. What they mean here by pets is cats, dogs, ets...
As far as fish goes there are many ways you can go. You could probably get one "larger" fish in there like a puffer or something but that is it. You could have more of something smaller like clowns or damsels, or wrasses. I know that these fish grow but slowly. At least the clowns. The fish store here have a 20 year old percula clown and he is about 5 inches. (and still kickin) I do water changes once a month with my 50 gal so with a 20 gal I would do once a week or something around there. Surely if you could sneak in a 20 gal you could sneak in a 30 gal Let me know what you decide!

MichaelStern

posted November 20, 2002 01:49 PM IP: Logged

Without a doubt, the smaller the more difficult to maintain. I would definitely look into larger if you can. Forget about wrasses in a 20 also. They get too big too fast. There are lots of smaller fish around: blennies, gobies, etc. Don't rush to decide. You will have a very!!! limited bioload. Don't waste it on a fish you don't love.

Soccer

posted November 20, 2002 06:56 PM IP: Logged

Well first off the bigger the better. A 30g is a nice size but a 20g is not bad. For filtration you want a 4-6" DSB(deep sand bed)
Just buy some argonite or silica sand pour that and then add some live sand to that and your set. Also you want 1-2 Lbs of live rock. That will be all of your filtration and for water movement your gonna want 1 or 2 power heads. Enough to turn your tank over about 10 times an hour.

bemiddy

posted November 23, 2002 09:04 PM IP: Logged

okey dokey! thanks for the help!
is "Big Als" (aquarium wholesalers .. i think) good for sw stuff? i have dealt with them before with freshwater but are they good with sw too?

HaMaGeish

posted November 26, 2002 12:15 PM IP: Logged

alright, let me get this straight, so for SW, youd on't need a conventional filter?
another question, if I already have a conventional filter, can I use this as a form of powerheard to cause water movement and "rotation"?

thanks...and you said only 1-2 pounds of liverock is needed for a 20g?

TriggerPuff

posted November 26, 2002 02:02 PM IP: Logged

You need to have 1 - 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon for your tank.

HaMaGeish

posted November 26, 2002 02:16 PM IP: Logged

haha...oh geez, that raises the price of this project significantly, I've only seen live rock here for 6.99/lb

BrianH

posted November 26, 2002 03:02 PM IP: Logged

You can order LR much cheaper online.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store