sick/weird striped raphael catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

matttara

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Hi all,
I apologize in advance - I am a new member with no previous problems with my tank or fish. I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with 1 black tetra, 2 rasberry tetras and 6 larger neons. I recently added 2 pleco and a striped raphael catfish. It quickly became apparent he had a bad case of ich so I have upped the temp to about 84 and added aquarium salt.

The weird thing is my Raphael does not eat, and is never at the bottom of the tank. He swims all day at the top, sometimes upside down. I have given him black worms, pellets, zuchini, spinach, flakes and he swims right by everything. Any insight you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Tara

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Scaleless fish (catfish) do not like salt at all. That's probably the problem.

matttara

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Wow - I was using salt because I thought catfish couldnt handle the meds! I will do another water change and remove the salt.

Anyone know how long a catfish could survive without eating? Since he's still here I am hoping he is just eating when I am not around.

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Many fish can live a week or more without eating.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
do you test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? adding three larger fish to a lightly stocked tank at once probably has sent your tank into a cycle, which means that toxins could be building up in the water. water testing and changes are necessary to keep ammonia and nitrite under .25. otherwise gill damage and reduced immune system problems could occur over time.

depending on the kinds of plecos you got, none of those fish should be kept in a 30g tank. raphael cats get 8 inches long, and if you got common plecos, they get waaaay to big for that tank. maybe you should return the catfish and fill out your tetra schools.

matttara

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone. My water levels are good. I am actually planning to set up a nice planted 75 gallon tank soon, so hopefully there will be room enough for all. You all are an fantastic resource. Thanks again!

Oh, as an update - my raphy is now eating and looking MUCH better. He likes Mango:) He and the pleco have actually become buddies it seems.

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
The only thing I've actually seen my Raph eat are flakes. He goes nuts when they get knocked down to the bottom of the tank by the HOB filter. Other than that, what he eats is a mystery to me.

bderick67

"need more tanks"
Feb 9, 2007
Wonderful Colorado
My rapheal cats had no ill effects from being in a tank that had been treated for Ich with heat and salt. They are normally nocternal, and like to feed at night. Try some shrimp pellets and algae wafers after lights out, this will benefit your plecos too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store