Wood in a marine tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Dangerdoll

posted November 24, 2002 08:00 PM IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just curious.....sister is planning on a saltwater setup and questioned Is it "ok" to have a wood structure in a saltwater aquarium? seems to me that it might be alright, but I'm not too "salt-savvy".....
thanks for any help...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toooloud

posted November 24, 2002 10:57 PM IP: Logged

well it would work, but you are going to get rot, i mean nothing different from a freshwater.. now u will just have to watch what fish you get.. as they may rub agaist it.. in cases of gettin ICh, and by rubbing agiast it they could get splinters.

Boogiechillin

posted November 24, 2002 11:05 PM IP: Logged

Not so sure about the splinters argument there, but I would be reluctant to use wood in a SW aquarium unless it was very seasoned, ie, unless it has been kept underwater in aquariums for some time already. Fresh wood is going to leach acidic tannins into the water, which will turn it somewhat yellow and depress the pH.

JohnMemorialHS

posted November 25, 2002 06:58 AM IP: Logged

I heard wood can rot in saltwater, but I'm not sure, maybe someone can confirm that.

TriggerPuff

posted November 25, 2002 09:31 AM IP: Logged

Wood will rot whether in salt water or in fresh water. Over time of course. I have to agree with the above on that it could mess up your water. Not a chance that I would want to take. If I were you I would stay away from using wood unless you absolutely have to.

slipknottin

posted November 25, 2002 09:33 AM IP: Logged

i think using actual driftwood from the ocean would be fine. that wood is usually so dried up its not likely going to do anything. petrified wood would also probably be fine.
you DONT want to use fresh wood from a bog or marsh.

gcvt

posted November 25, 2002 09:38 AM IP: Logged

Many people struggle with keeping the pH high enough in their marine tanks as it is...aquarium driftwood would make this even more difficult. And, personally, I don't think wood will look natural in a marine tank.
------------------
Start slow, then taper off.

My Fish Tanks page
My Heater Specs page

[This message has been edited by gcvt (edited November 25, 2002).]

Dangerdoll

posted November 25, 2002 03:24 PM IP: Logged

Thanks for all the replies.... I mentioned to her the problems about thoroughly seasoning (persay) the wood and the chemical problems and went on to her about the wood not really fitting in to a SW set up, so that may have her thinking otherwise.... I will let her know of the potential problems mentioned here adding to what I've already told her and see if she will change her mind. Thanks for all the thoughts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store