guppy fry with white fuzz

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scampyfan

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
seattle
:confused:

i have a 10G heavily planted guppy tank that right now has 5 adults and about 15 fry (who are going back to the LFS if they make it through to adult size) and 5 ghost shrimp. (random numbers of pond snails sail in and out of visibility - hitch-hikers from plants, i'm sure, but i have no clue how many are in there)

a classic case of ich broke out awhile ago (about a week/week and a half ago) which i've been treating with anti-ich meds. there hasn't been any sign of ick spots on anyone for about 4 days, and then this morning when i turned on the lights i thought i saw new white spots on a few of the fry. when i looked closer, the spots looked more like fuzz patches. a few minutes later a fry swam up from the plants with fuzz all over its little body :(. now i'm thinking that the ich stress possibly caused a fungus breakout? my ammonia is at 0, my nitrates is at 5ppm, and i have a pH of 7.0. the water changes tend to be 2x a week, about 25%.

i'm just looking for advise/suggestions as to
~ what this could be
~ if you can see a cause from the info i've given
~ if i can treat the whole tank - the filter strangely and suddenly broke in my QT tank so i'd rather not use it if i don't have to!

thanks for your time!

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
I don't know what it could be, since I'm not very familiar with fish diseases, but I suggest treating the tank with melafix. great stuff.

scampyfan

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
seattle
well, all the fish store down the street had was "fungus clear tank buddies" by Jungle (no melafix)...i'm reading the box and it doesn't say anything bad about using it in a planted tank (it might give me cancer, they warn) and the active ingredients are: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate.

anyone know anything about this stuff?

still not sure if this is really fungus.

any advice would be nice!

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire

scampyfan

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
seattle
thanks so much for the links!

this guppy tank is getting out of control. suddenly there's fin nipping like they've never done before (coincidence that the aggression started for the first time after the fungus treatment? IDK) - one of my females has a completely shredded tail this morning and it was perfectly fine last night!

i used the Jungle anti-fungal yesterday, and i'm still finishing up the ich treatment from last week...i don't feel so comfy dumping all these meds into the tank, and now the guppies have started hurting each other! i think i have to take the adults back to the LFS, but i don't want to give them potentially sick fish, so i think i'm still stuck with treating them until whatever is wrong goes away.

since i now see injury i'm not sure if i should give them additional meds (i know there are several things that can improve the healing of wounds/prevent infection) or if i should just hope that the 2 i have in there will help?

watching this tank is like watching a really violent and dramatic soap opera. i need me some feel-good calming learning channel TV!! i want my tanks to be Sesame Street, not The Sopranos!

sorry 'bout the rant there...
anyone with advice about the new wounds, let me know...
thanks in advance!

angbaby4974

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2007
hi,
just wanted to say that I had a similar experience with my guppies after using the Jungle fungus clear (only thing I could find too). I ended up losing all but 1 male & 1 female adults. Curiously enough, all of my fry seemed fine at the time, however now they are all developing a bent spine. Not sure if it was from the meds or just genetic, or what. Anyways, if you read the directions, on the package it says not to use a charcoal filter with the med, as it will just remove it. As soon as I put my charcoal filter back in (within 6-8 hrs) my fish were already doing much better.
just my 2 c.w.

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
well, all the fish store down the street had was "fungus clear tank buddies" by Jungle (no melafix)...i'm reading the box and it doesn't say anything bad about using it in a planted tank (it might give me cancer, they warn) and the active ingredients are: nitrofurazone, furazolidone, potassium dichromate.

anyone know anything about this stuff?

still not sure if this is really fungus.

any advice would be nice!
Fungus clear actually treats for some bacterial problems. It sounds like it could be a flex infection, and it should be effective if that's what it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store