Glass thickness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
Tuka

posted November 23, 2002 10:21 AM IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hey guys, i'm the newest member to this comunity. But i'm only starting out.
i understand the marine fish keeping is harder than freshwater but i think i'm ready to jump the leap.

As i was saying, i'm only starting. So i'm thinking to of buying a tank.
The measurements are:
- Volume 460 l (101 Imp.gal / 122 U.S.gal.)
- Tank length 130 cm (4 ft. 3 in.)
- Tank width 60 cm (1 ft. 12 in.)
- Tank height 60 cm (1 ft. 12 in.)

my question is (because i want to MAKE my own tank) what thickness should i use with the glass itself?

Please excuse my english, i'm not from the US... i hope you understand what i'm trying to say.

thanks,
rui

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuka

posted November 23, 2002 10:24 AM IP: Logged

it's me again.
i'm a one thing at a time kinda guy.

so this is my question for the time being. i'm sure you'll hear from me later...

thanks again

revant01

posted November 23, 2002 07:43 PM IP: Logged

I looked at making my own glass tank and decided i would go and buy one as the extra effort wasnt worth it.
But for your question I think the minimum thickness for that volume is 9.x milimeters so you will have to use 10 mm glass. If it is temperd pre sized sheets of glass then you can go a lot thinner buy you wont be able to cut, drill, or break the glass without it shattering.

Ill post a link to a page that goes throuch the calculations for building glass tanks and the strength of glass tommorow when i get home. (i dont have the link here)

By the way i am pretty sure 1' 12" is the same as 2' but i use metric normally anyway.

a_free_bird73

posted November 24, 2002 07:33 PM IP: Logged

Agree.. 10mm though not essential will be a safe choice. using 8mm for the sides and 10mm for the bottom is also ok but for the price difference 8mm is not worth it.
Unless aquariums are very expensive where you live, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to make it cheaper than you can buy it....

Fishster

posted November 25, 2002 08:17 AM IP: Logged

If you make this tank be sure to brace the top to prevent bowing. 10mm glass is pretty sturdy but for what it's worth I would not take any chances.

revant01

posted November 25, 2002 01:58 PM IP: Logged

here is the site that has the glass thickness calculations on it as well as a table with common aquarium sizes and thicknesses on it.
http://www.fnzas.org.nz/glassthickness.0.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store