Unidentified Puff no more!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
So excited! I finally identified my unidentified fw/bw puff. Our store bought him from a local wholesaler that imported him in to the country under the name Red eye puffer. I got really excited cause thought was the loreti. When I saw him he was far from that. I couldn't take him home that day so decided would buy him and his pal the next day. Go back next day and he and pal are GONE!!!!! Two days later he came back because some person put him in their 10G tank with Danios etc and it killed them! So took him home and put him in his own tank. After searching for a while I finally ID'd him as Tetraodon leiurus (aka Target puff, Twin Spot puff). After I got him two months ago I decided to try him with a nasty male Socolofi African Cichlid. They did fine while I watched them for one hour, ran out to do erons and came back two hours later and there lay the AC completly gutted! So now he lives a happy(?) life by himself. Seeing how aggressive my guy is I wonder if the other one got flushed due to aggression like I'm sure mine would of if I wasn't there when the customer came in!

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
LOL! When will people learn not to trust puffers?! There's a person on another site that has put his new fahaka in with his target. I'm just waiting for the day he posts a similar story. You just can't tell some folks! I'm sure a lot of puffers get flushed in anger for slaughtering other fish. It's too bad there is no warning on puffertanks (like I have at my lfs) about puffers not playing well with others. Enjoy your target.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I think he is nocturnal cause he doesn't do much during the day. I also just changed his tank last night and added a little bit of sea salt and seems to be a bit more active. I'm thinking he likes the brackish conditions better. I'm going to slowly work up to brackish and see if he gets happier and actually does something during the day like my Fig 8's do! I agree with the Puffer thing. I'm trying to get the store that I work at to do so. I do all the ordering so hopefully they will listen to me. If not I can stop ordering puffers until it goes into effect! Pufferwise I have 3 Figure 8's, the Target, Arothron manilensis (SW-Narrow lined Puffer), and Arothron immaculata (also sw). The manilensis and immac play nice but the immac is only 2.5 inches (not including tail) and the man is 6 inches (nit). The man is only half grown! I never see my little Target eat but he has a fat belly so he must be eating something. He gets live brine, frozen shrimp, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Targets are FW fish. They generally are not very active, like hiding places & not too bright light. Puffers need more kinds of shellfish. Try krill, plankton & pieces of any kind of shellfish from the fish dept at your grocery store. Don't forget snails.

PufferNewbie

AC Members
Apr 16, 2003
Visit site
i just gave my target puffer back to the store.. its Sooooooo agressive!!! even when its tiny! ( like 1.5 cm)

i went to back to the store the next day and they said they put him into the same tank as a 6cm caylon puffer and the caylon's nip got nipped pretty bad.. just over nite

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I hope your lfs has learned not to put these fish with any other fish. Did they remove it from the Ceylon tank? Even in a tank with other targets (unless 40gal or larger) they will kill each other. Please stop ordering puffers. Only special order them for folks that know exactally what they are doing & getting into, that have a CYCLED, species only tank waiting for these special fish!!! These are wild-caught fish, that would be much happier where they came from than being in a tank with another aggressive puffer, mistreated or improperly cared for, or twirling down the toilet.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
I can't believe the LFS didn't tell you not to put other fish in there with the puffer. I've heard dithers are fine, but my two are still on their own.

By the way, they still lay eggs, and he still isn't fertilizing them. Pufferpunk, my hubby signed onto that site you gave me, but, he hasn't bothered to ask for any help there. But, I will get on him and let you know what they say about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store