Red Finned Shark or Red Tailed Black Shark????<span class="smallfont"> <b>(1 Viewing)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
Has anyone got any experiences of both these.

I am upgrading to a 190 Litre tank.

I have:
Neons, Halerquin Rasboras, Pentazona Barbs, Rummy Noses and a Dwarf Otto.

I am looking at what others to get and am interested in adding some Tiger Barbs, some Denisonii Barbs and either a Red Finned Shark or Red Tailed Black Shark.

I prefer the Red Tailed Black Shark but have no experience of it and don't know if it would be unsuitable to mix with the other fish above. Would the Red Finned Shark be better or would both be unsuitable.

Any advice gratefully received.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
I've kept red tailed sharks sucessfully in community tanks, just as long as they are the only one of their species. I haven't kept them with neons but I don't think there would be a problem... I am not familiar with the red finned shark, (unless I just know it as a rainbow shark?) I believe the rainbow shark is similar in personality to the red tailed shark.

homerHart

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
Thanks Salty - yes the Red Finned Shark that I am on about is also known as the Rainbow Shark.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
RTBS are known to be mean killers. they are fine for the short time but as they get older they snap and start killing things. i would pick a Rainbow Shark over the red tail shark any day.
Guess I've just been lucky. I've never had any problems at all with mine... Maybe since they've been raised in a 75 with lots of hidey spaces..? Maybe it would be safer after all to get the rainbow...

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
Is the rainbow shark also known as a ruby shark or is that something diiferent? I have a ruby shark but it is only housed with tiger barbs as it is very terratorial - in fact it's that terratorial I'm trying to rehome it! I guess I'll just have to get another tank!

BucJason

I drink like a fish
Dec 30, 2006
Tampa , FL.
As far as I know they have about the exact same temperment, both can get very agressive towards anything that comes in its territory. The problem is mine saw the entire bottom half of the tank as his territory.

They usually won't cause much damage to your other fish, only terrorize them. Should be fine in your current community, but proceed with caution because they are unpredictable.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
As far as I know they have about the exact same temperment, both can get very agressive towards anything that comes in its territory. The problem is mine saw the entire bottom half of the tank as his territory.

They usually won't cause much damage to your other fish, only terrorize them. Should be fine in your current community, but proceed with caution because they are unpredictable.
never had a rainbow shark so i was hoping it would be better.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
homerhart what do these Pentazona Barbs look like
also 190L is what about 47.5 gallons so be sure the sharks don't get too big

AikidoGuy

Cichlidiot
Jul 3, 2001
Sparta, New Jersey
I keep Rainbow Sharks in my central American cichlid tanks! They are tuff customers. Very territorial. They will pick on smaller more delicate fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store