29gallon tank how many Angels?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
I would like to have atleast 2 3 if possible "better chance of having them breed i would think" I dont want to over crowd the tank. Ive never had angels in a tank i allways look at them and say i should get some but never do. But what else should i put in the tank.

Planning on black sand substrate "so im looking at the gold angels so they pop out color wise", fake plants, slate rocks "maybe make a cave with slate as well", my filter is a penguin biowheel 330 so it should be mroe than enough for a 29gal.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Your best chance for a pair is to get 6 or 7 small ones and let them grow up together. In all likelihood you will get at least one male and one female, and most likely the group will form at least one pair. Then just give the rest back to the LFS for some store credit hopefully, and breed them in the 29 and raise the babies in separate tanks.

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
Your best chance for a pair is to get 6 or 7 small ones and let them grow up together. In all likelihood you will get at least one male and one female, and most likely the group will form at least one pair. Then just give the rest back to the LFS for some store credit hopefully, and breed them in the 29 and raise the babies in separate tanks.

but wont they be really overcrowding the tank even if there small?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Truthfully, I definately would not keep more than 2 angels in a tank that size. Remember, they can get the size of an adults palm. Thats pretty large. You can purchase an already established pair as well. But you need to find a breeder or an auction or fish club to do that.

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
yeah thats what im thinking 2 is gonna be the limit. But if i get 2 what else can i get. Maybe a tiny pleco "not the normal kinds that grow enourmous one that stays in the 4" range?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
They're really hard to sex, so unless you can get a definite pair buying 4 or so (2 largest, 2 smallest if from the same spawn) is likely to get you a pair. No one here has suggested more than a pair of adults, but you have to get that pair first! Often, you get a pair by getting enough to statistically ensure at least one male and female is there in the first place, then they have to like each other, and then you return the unpaired ones for credit.

Eric

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
They should pair off before they are full grown. Get them when they are nickel to quarter size, that will be far from overstocking the tank. If you have enough filtration and keep up with your water changes it should not be an issue.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I'm going to agree with reptileguy on this one.
:eek: :thud: ;)

there should not be a big issue with getting sub adult angels 4-6 (even 7)in a 29 for a short period of time..stay on top of water changes and make sure you have good filtration..any pairs that form will form before they get adult sized.

the problem may be how you feel about that odd angels once you get a pair..you will have to move them out.

Marv_Levy

AC Members
Mar 22, 2007
well i was in my LPS today and asked about buying about 6 angles fish putting them in my tank till i get a pair. The manager told me its good idea but store policy is once you walk outta the store with the fish there yours. You cant bring them back for anykind of credit or refund. :(

so after i set up and cycle my tank i will just get 2 angels a couple cories and maybe i will get lucky

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store