anyone ever heard of a Dr Tang??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kpatrick

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I went to the LFS and saw a greyish blue tang with bright blue spots and they told me it was called a dr tang. anyone ever heard of these before and does anyone know if they are hardy or weak??? could it go with a purple or yellow tang tankmate???
It was about the same price as a yellow tang and it looks cool but want to do some homework before i buy it.

Thanks in advance

kpatrick

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
thx for reply, but that was not it. this one doesnt have the mouth that extends that far out and the spots are very bright blue and the color of the fish is more of a pale blue or greyish color. he said it was only the second one he has gotten in and the order form said "doctor tang". i have looked through several books and websites but no luck.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
"Doctorfish" is another common name for tangs...that doesn't narrow it down much. Maybe a Prionurus sp. (see below) or an odd color morph of a more common tang...Koles, for example, have a wide range of coloration.

Can you narrow it down to a genus based on body shape? A short mouth probably eliminates Zebrasoma, but it could potentially be Naso, Acanthurus, Ctenochaetus, etc

prionurus.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store