Freshwater sharks being released in your local lake!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gaines

Ruler of the Blue Lagoon
May 14, 2006
Nashville, TN
By JENNIFER TALHELM, Associated Press Writer 31 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Associated Press reported this morning that as many as twenty different major bodies of water have been selected to host "an in-depth study into the breeding and habits of several species of fresh-water sharks." Two thousand sharks are to be released into the lakes and rivers. The experiment is designed to determine whether the sharks can survive in inland waters. The federal government was said to be spending $1.3 million to determine this.

A representative from the National Biological Foundation was quoted as saying that there would probably be a noticeable decline in the populations of other fish in the lakes because "the sharks will eat about 20 pounds of fish each per day, more as they get older."

Local officials were said to have protested the experiment, afraid of the hazard it would pose to fishermen and swimmers, but their complaints had been ignored by the federal government. Furthermore, fishermen had been forbidden from catching the sharks.​

Imagine what this will do to the local species? Contact your congressman so we can stop this before it gets out of hand!

MikeInOrlando

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Wow....guess I won't be going swimming again anytime soon!

Unless I have my shark repellent.

Last edited:

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
April fools? doesn't sound real to me, give me a link lol

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
right.

ralpf

AC Members
Jan 23, 2007
Cute, I could imagine the title of a new film "Just when you thought it was safe to go swimming in your nearbye lake, Jaws IV Revenge Of The Freshwater Shark! Seriously, from the reality side some sharks regularly enter freshwater estuaries to feed or give birth to young.

kw0me

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
i think if they were going to try something like this theyd make a lake and do it in there. seems like a bit of a risk to local fish just to see if sharks live in fresh water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store