Help needed severly !!!*sorry long read*

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MMartini13

AC Members
Jan 25, 2007
Well to start it off i'll give you some background info
-About 2 week ago the fish in my 55 g tank started dieing all but 2 died, a 3-4 inch angel fish
-After checking all parameters and they were fine, i fogured it was a disease (all fish died the same way, they sunk to the bottom and couldnt swim)
-I threw out everything last week drained the tank cleaned it
-Bought all new, heaters (2 30 gallon heaters on polar opposite sides), 1 whisper 60 gallon 1 10 gallon canister filter, new gravel, even new lights and hoods
-filled it about 3 days ago and everything is up and runing
Here is where i need your opinion
-to filter the 55g i wanted to use guppies/minnows I was thinking adding 10 tomorrow then 10 on wed and 10 more on fri. What do you guys think about this idea? I do want to use the fishless cycle, tried it once and failed miserably
Another MAJOR problem
-the angelfish i saved, is stuck in my 10 gallon with another about 1.5 inch angel and a 1.5in silver dollar
-my plan is to do two 1/5 water changes daily and at the end of every week do a 25-50% change
-How long do you think i could keep the fish alive with this setup? I'm thinking im going to need at least 4 weeks for the 55g to cycle
55g setup?
-i was wondering what i should use for decor/other fish in the 55g (after it is cycled) assuming all three fish in the 10 survive.
-Currentyl i have one of those clay pots for deco and a 16inch buuble wand...i was wondering what other deco would look nice with an angelfish tank
-When and if, i move the angelfish (3-4in), angelfish (1.5in) and silver dollar (1.5 in) into the 55g i was going to get about 3 more silver dollars and a small shoal of cory's i was wondering what else if anything i should add?
-This will open up my 10g, i was wondering what i should put in that after this ordeal

Sorry about the long read but i really need experienced aquarist's opinions and they are greatly greatly appreciated !

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I added my fire mouth the first week of cycling, just did water changes non stop and my fire mouth did fine. I added 2 fish a week and after a month my tank was complete. I just watched very carefully the nitrates and amonia and my mates all lived and did fantastically. now my tank is 4 months and my fish have doubled in lenght. your angel could go in pretty fast if you watch all the parimeters, and it would be cool if you could get some gravel, and or a used filter from your ten gallon tank.Just my opinion really but I think you could jump start it fast with the stuff from your 10 gallon and and your angel could go in after 2 weeks. I would not buy all those fish you have stated , a waste acually. unless you plan on keeping them after the cycling. if you keep testing, and make sure to do water changes a lot and keep the tank in good shap I see no problems.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
dont add any guppies.minnow etc to your tank to cycle it. if you do enough water changes, the angels and silver dollar should be fine. use some media from the ten gallon to help move the cycle in the 55 along. test the water every day and do water changes when the ammoina and/or nitrite are over 0.25. once your tank is fully cycled, they should stay at 0.

if you add three silver dollars and 6 or so corydoras to your current stock that would have to be it. 6 6 inch fish is alot for a 55 gallon.

MMartini13

AC Members
Jan 25, 2007
So i should put my fish in the 55gallon tonight? and if i do a 5 gallon water change every morning and night i should be fine?i have test kits and i will watch the parameters. So you think 2 angel fish, 4 silver dollars, and 6 assorted corys is not overstocked or only a little overstocked?

What do you guys suggect for deco in the 55 and fish in the 10?

mr pleco

AC Members
Mar 26, 2007
just a quick question martini see i dont know enough about your tank parmaters and your previous problem what are your new tank parameters right now ? and over what period did your previous fish die and apart from what you have stated what if any other symptoms did they fish that died show
as for your current problem if your parameters on ammonia/ ph and kh /gh are fine then you could add your fish and watch parameters carefullly until your nitrates are at the right level this will show your tank is beginnig to fully cycle ...but be very careful of the harmful nitrites ! until this occurs and watch for ammonia spikes thru this period

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store