how many of you do a complete tank clean?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
no not the break down of the tank, but all the plants ( plastic) and decorations? I must have the wrong clean up crew, my plants and such are covered with brown algea about every other month or so. its anoying, but when I get tired of it I just clean all the stuff, but what a pain!
I have cory cats, they do not touch the algae. what will?
I know I am probably to over full with fish to have another, but I sure wish I had something to clean the stuff off the glass and plants and decorations!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
ottos

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I did buy 2 otto's at the LFS a few months back, they died with in the first month, my son cried for a few days . They were cute, but they did not seem to touch the algae. I would try them again, but my tank I believe is not to full .

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Yeah... I just clean mine when they start gettin' brown in my 10-gallon, my 36-g stays clean thanks to Miss Sophie in there. :D (see sig)

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
the plants in my 55 get brown algae on them too, i just take them out and soak them in hot water overnight then rinse them off and put them back in. good for another few months.

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Otos need live plants to survive long term. The ones I added to my tank recently devoured almost every noticeable bit of algae in a few days.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Otos need live plants to survive long term. The ones I added to my tank recently devoured almost every noticeable bit of algae in a few days.
I'm sure you could supplement by adding blanched spinach leaves or zucchini or something if you don't keep live plants, just like you do with plecos.... right? I've never had ottos, so I'm not gonna pretend I know beans about 'em ^_^;;

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
If you have enough algae to think about cleaning everything off then I would suggest Otos again and Siamese algae eaters.

Q

TimmyB42386

PO'd Crawdad
Dec 15, 2006
New Jersey
i can't even get otos to eat brown crap on fake plants. They usually get bleach baths about quarterly and that takes care of that.

Swayde

AC Members
Mar 12, 2007
Florida
Wow, my ottos made short work of my brown algae in only 2 days. They seem to be pretty good eaters though. I even see them snatching the occasional flake out of the water when I feed the other fishies. They aren't too keen on zucchini though which everything I've read said they would eat. Going to try spinach next time I go shopping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store