Fungal infection questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Signus

Aquarist, not Aquarius
Oct 17, 2004
Gainesville, Florida
I think my oldest and largest cherry barb has a fungal infection. Recently, a female and two small males passed quarantine and went into the show tank where this male had 6 females to himself. He spends his days now hiding out behind the driftwood and in the plants, so please forgive the pie pan as a holding cell for the pictures.

After doing the weekly water change I noticed that he had a white patch of slightly fluffy material on the base of his tail (the area right before the start of the fin). Could this be a fungal infection? I'm guessing he's stressed out because of the added males challenging him, but that's only a wild guess. No other fish seem to have the same symptoms. There was one female who hides quite a bit, but she still feeds and shows no signs of white, fluffy growth.

How do I treat this infection if it is one?

Thanks

Pics for diagnosis:

PPS: another thought is that the scales are missing since you notice the white part most when looking at him from dead-on or behind

Last edited:

Signus

Aquarist, not Aquarius
Oct 17, 2004
Gainesville, Florida
:sad: Nevermind. The cat must have eaten him this morning. Went to turn on the light to the QT and he was gone. Sigh... 4 years of ownership gone in an instant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store