Moss Wall Redesign - Long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
I put a moss wall in my 10G with Small Tetras and Cherry shrimp. Workd great and growing in nicely (If slowly)

I also setup a larger one in my 90G (27L x 21H the wall size). The design did not scale up well. I am having to count hatchetfish everyday and then look behind or in the wall for the missing one.

Problems, getting a tight fit at both ends. Hard to keep straight.
Gapping between the layers (21H is a lot)
Suction cups pulling out of mesh when moving the wall around.

I decide to build a new one and try to solve all the flaws.

Materials:
Plastic Artist Canvas (Derico 13.25 x 22)
Small suction cups
airline tubing
Aquarium Sealant
Monofilament fishing line
Super Glue Gel
Small Cable ties

Approach take two sheets of the canvas - Cut to 13.25 x 20.5

And attach them together with 4 cable ties

Run a bead of gel super glue down the seam (I will remove the cable ties if the glue is strong enough, the main goal of the glue is to keep the mesh from gaping at the seam - important in the front.)

Cut airline tubing to match the edges of the canvas

Attach the tubing on the back side of the canvas, right at the edge with a couple dabs of sealant. Sew on with fishing line. Super glue the knots. (The purpose of the airline hose is to create a lip around the backside about the same thickness as the suction cups push the mesh off the glass. It should keep fish out.)

Notch the mesh to attach 9 suction cups. 3 one each side (Bottom ones 2" up to keep out of gravel) One in the middle of the top and two others scatterd to help hold it in place. Use aquarium sealant or super glue to be sure they won't pullout. I am thinking sealant, but..)

Cut and attach two more pieces of canvas the same way for the front.

Let everything dry (24hrs)

Lay front on back. Sew the sides and bottom together with fishing line and glue the knots.

Add Christmas moss from the top and spread as evenly as possible.

Use cable ties to close the top and add to tank.

With any luck there will be no gaping and the airline tubing will not allow room for the fish to get behind.

Thoughts?

Native American

Just Another Flying Fish
Apr 25, 2005
Altus, OK
A pic would help.

v/r, N-A

motwnbro

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
i built a moss wall. it's still filling in.
i used a furnace filter. the kind u cut to size. it has a swirling (don't know how other to describe it) plastic filliment. to frame it i took another used furnace filter (it was the kind that was a better finer particle filter) that had a plastic u channel around it. i cut the u channel to an L shape, it also had a ridgid plast 1/2" mesh that i only used on the back for strenght. to insert the strands on moss, i modified a plastic chop stick, made it pointy and behind the point i cut in an upside down notch to hold the moss. i would take the stick, insert the moss, and poke it into the filter wall. so far so good.
it's held in place at the bottom by the gravel. at the top by the magnum canister filter piping assembly. the ridgid framing really helps. i'll post pics soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store