Leaf Litter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
wetmanNY

posted November 09, 2002 05:38 PM IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's that time again. I ran out of dried autumn leaves around Labor Day this year, partly because I was giving away pasta boxes full of last year's beech leaves.
I like Cutleaf Beech best. But this year I'm going to try Japanese maples and magnolia leaves. I wait til the trees have let them go, so that nitrogen etc. has been withdrawn by the tree. What's left is mostly cellulose and lasts a couple of months in the aquarium before it's completely shredded.

I like leaf litter so much I have to keep from putting leaves into all my tanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TJcanada

posted November 09, 2002 06:20 PM IP: Logged

*hehe*-I'll send you my japanese maple leaves once they've all fallen...
Indulge me...why are you putting them into your tank(s)?

TJ

------------------
Visit: Tom's Place
My site:BackyardPuddle

wetmanNY

posted November 09, 2002 06:39 PM IP: Logged

One small densely-planted tankhere has a male Apistogramma cacatuoides (his ladies have grown old and passed on) and pencilfishes with Otos. I like watching the Otos thrash around in the leaf litter. They seem bolder with all these protected spaces.
In a 33 gal. planted show tank, Dianema cats dig in the leaf litter for blackworms. Sturisoma cats and Farlowella in there can make themselves completely camouflaged...

I guess I just really enjoy the forest-stream look of leaf litter.

TJcanada

posted November 09, 2002 06:48 PM IP: Logged

That's cool - thanks...
*let me know if you want those leaves..they're falling as I type... *

------------------
Visit: Tom's Place
My site:BackyardPuddle

needanick99
unregistered posted November 09, 2002 08:12 PM IP: Logged

how do you keep them out of the filter?

Mr.Jingles

posted November 09, 2002 08:17 PM IP: Logged

how do you make them sink? isnt organic material bad for the tank when it decomposes?
------------------
Hebrew 10:39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.

My Tank Specs

wetmanNY

posted November 09, 2002 08:36 PM IP: Logged

Well, even if you hold them underwater for a few moments when you first put them in the tank, they do blow around for a day or so. Fetch up on the filter intake a little. Then they settle down and make loose piles on the substrate.
Green leaves decompose and add all kinds of nitrogen and sugars from sap etc. No good.

But deciduous trees have the sense to withdraw all the good stuff that could go bad in the aquarium, when nights start to get cool and day length shortens. They stash it in permanent tissue, like roots. Dried fallen leaves give off tannins (oak leaves especially) but they don't foul the water.

kmandu

posted November 10, 2002 07:03 PM IP: Logged

I had to experiment after reading your post! I put maple leaves in my ten gallon and with the light filtering through it is increadibly beautiful! Do i need to worry about the tanins changing the ph?
thanks for sharing the idea... a natural looking tank is wonderful...and the fish like it too!

vikki k

revant01

posted November 11, 2002 05:14 PM IP: Logged

Hey thats not a bad idea for a planted tank. The starch that makes up the dried leaves will decompose into CO2 and this helps the problem of having to add CO2 with some injection system. You are right about not having to worry about nitrogen or other stuff much because these are all removed with the proteins and pigments when the plants leaves turn. I think ill try this in my planted tank next autumn. ( I am in AUS so summer is just starting)

Faramir

posted November 12, 2002 04:10 AM IP: Logged

If you've got checkerboard cichlids, leaf litter is a must. They actually pick up leaves, turn them over and search under them for food. It's their natural foraging method, and a joy to watch.
[This message has been edited by Faramir (edited November 12, 2002).]

The Gipper

posted November 12, 2002 08:49 AM IP: Logged

Never heard of that!
How long do the leaves last? IS this just a seasonal thing you do or do you save leaves from the fall to be used all year long?

wetmanNY

posted November 12, 2002 09:21 AM IP: Logged

Two shopping bags packed with leaves serves me a full year, Gipper. Picture the old man on his hands and knees in Central Park, scooping leaves into a shopping bag, carefully picking out the good ones. Oh yeah, one of those. Is he talking to the leaves, Marjorie?
I have an unidentified miniature Bulldog Cat that only loses his shyness when he can get from here to there in a tunnel network of leaf litter.

Individual leaves last maybe six weeks. I add a small handful to a 33-gallon tank every other week or so, as required. Leached humic substances like tannins might effect some slight softening and pH reduction, kmandu. Marginal, even in my unbuffered water like Seattle's.

ChelseaSkinGirl

posted November 12, 2002 12:08 PM IP: Logged

I would love to see this! Do you have any pictures of the leaves in the tank?

wetmanNY

posted November 12, 2002 02:20 PM IP: Logged

Chelsea Girl, I know I have to get photos onto www.skepticalaquarist.com , but the technology... the technology... so many steps...
This will come.

rainbow5

posted November 13, 2002 07:52 PM IP: Logged

How do you vaccuum around the leaves? Do they trap more detrius (sp)?

wetmanNY

posted November 13, 2002 09:13 PM IP: Logged

My tanks are too dense with plants and wood to do much vacuuming. If the fishes don't stir up what detritus there is, I stir it up myself at water changes. When I'm reaching in to pinch out a leaf, I'll waggle my fingers under a log to flush detritus out into the open. What's blowing around the tank gets sucked up in the filter. I let the Loaches disturb the substrate: I mostly leave it alone. Once in a long while I'll drag the edge of a credit card or a sponge over it, to roll green surfaces under.
A layer of leaf litter keeps light off the gravel. Much less algae on the gravel surface. in a tank with leaf litter.

I feed a lot of greens, live blackworms, fd daphnia, fd bloodworms, a very little flake feed about every other day or every third. Probably less than half all in all of what most people are feeding their fish. There's never a speck of flake left over. Melania snails pick over any minute leavings. So there's not much detritus.

Anton Wernher

posted November 15, 2002 02:56 PM IP: Logged

I just added some to my SA cichlid community after reading this thread.

As you can see I am still waiting for them to sink.

------------------
Anton Wernher

RTR

posted November 15, 2002 03:46 PM IP: Logged

The only time I've used leaf litter was with a bare-bottom tank (white opaque glass bottom, plants in pots) for my one foray into Chaca keeping. I used oak leaves (as Anton's pic above) and loved the effect. Invisible fish - a specialty of mine it seems. I was a bit concerned about the Chacas ingesting leaves or leaf fragments, but it did not appear to be a problem.

achu

posted November 15, 2002 04:34 PM IP: Logged

Here in central Texas, we don't get a lot of really colorful leaves in the fall. By the time our leaves hit the ground, they're mostly brown. Does it matter what color leaf is used?
------------------
Amy Chu
Austin, Tx

Onna Shinigami

posted November 15, 2002 04:50 PM IP: Logged

Thought I might ask, if it matters what type of leaf it is.

wetmanNY

posted November 15, 2002 05:04 PM IP: Logged

Onna-san, it's a very good point. I'd avoid leaves from trees that are chemically active. None of the walnuts/hickories (Juglans0 for a classic example: nothing grows under a Black Walnut; juglone is mostly in roots, but I'd never risk a toxin like that in an enclosed system.
Sumac is dicey: poison ivy is a vining sumac after all. Smokebush has beautiful leaves, but they're very aromatic. It's a close cousin to sumac. I'd give it a pass.

Euonymus is also pretty active. But hell, so is Melaleuca alternifolia, and folks are putting tinctures of its oil into tanks at the drop of a hat!

Any other thoughts about avoiding certain leaves?

I wait till leaves are dry before I use them. The color isn't going to last. Brown is beautiful, eh!

I'm going to the New York Botanical Garden tomorrow with a small satchel. I'll tell y'all what I find.

wetmanNY

posted November 15, 2002 05:10 PM IP: Logged

Anton that's pretty handsome just like that. I'll be looking for Japanese maples with the small dissected leaves, to suit the miniature scale of my 10-gallon pencilfish glade.
I have to borrow a camera.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store