Beginner Fish for Your Reef or FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Germanman

My fish are my babies
well i though it would be cool thread to start since we have a thread on fish not to get and so many people ask what good fish for beginners are so ill start a few for ya all. please dont just copy and paste if u add one and try to use a picture as well:). i got all the pics form google image search and the info was typed up before hand on word and was pulled from memory and the following books;
  • A Pocket Expert Guide Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael
  • A Pocket Experts Guide Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L. Shimek
lets try not to start argument either lol:)

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Bangai (high-fin) Cardinal fish
(Pterapogon kauderni)
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Temp: 76-82°F
Adult size: ~ 3"
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: mysis, brine, small meaty foods
Origin: Indo-Pacific
These fish are great for beginners and are readily breed and rased in aquariums. They have wonderful color and tend to be a bit territorial. They can be kept in a school in a large aquarium, (70+), but should be kept solitary or in mated pairs in smaller aquariums. They will usually fight and pair off. They seem to almost just glide or float through the water.

01st_B_Bangai Cardinal Fish_Kevin Roland b.jpg

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Firefish
(Nemateleotris magnifica)
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallon
Temp: 76-80°F
Adult size: 3"
Temperament: Peaceful
Diet: Mysis, plankton, brine
Origin: Coral Sea, Indo-Pacific, Maldives
These fish are very peaceful and tend to be shy. They need a “dart hole” to hid in and can be kept in mated pairs or groups when young, but when they get mature they tend to pair off and fight. Males have a bit of a longer dorsal fin than females but it can be hard to tell in younger individuals. They don’t do well with aggressive tank mates but can make excellent nano fish and tank mates for things like sea horses. They are also known for jumping so they should have a tight lid or hood on the aquarium as well as good hiding spots.

firefish.JPG

Last edited:

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Common Clown
(Amphiprion ocellaris)

Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temp 76-81°F
Adult size: Up to 3½"
Diet: mysis, brine, flake formulas, some algae, most meaty foods
Origin: Tank bred usually
These little fish do very well as a starter fish. They are very hardy and are fun to watch. They will usually host the Bubble tip anemone but wont always, usually not if they are tank raised. They should be kept solitary or in pairs. They can be kept in groups in larger aquariums and they will usually form a hierarchy. They readily breed in aquariums with the female being the larger of the two. They are egg layers and will deposit the eggs on a flat surface, and defend the eggs from other tank mates. The eggs will normally hatch in 6-11 days depending on the temperature. The fry should be reared in a separate aquarium on a diet of rotifers then baby brine shrimp. If they are kept with an anemone the anemone should be take care of properly…but remember they don’t need one to be happy.

clownfish.jpg

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Royal Gramma
(Gramma loreto)
Temp 78-81°F
Adult size: 3-4"
Diet: most meaty foods.
Origin: Caribbean
These are very hardy and colorful fish. They need a cave or place to guard. They live under reef cliffs in nature so it’s not uncommon to see them swim on their back under a rock or next to one. They can be a bit territorial but are over all very peaceful unless provoked. They do well in captivity and have been know to breed. They can be kept in pairs in smaller aquariums or solitary. In aquariums 80 gallons or more there has been success with groups.

royal gramma.jpg

Reactions: Strongarm

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Feather duster worm
(Sabellastarte sp.)
Water Flow: Medium
Tank Conditions: 78-80°F; SP 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Max Size: Up to 7"
Diet: filter feeders do well on phytoplankton
Origin: Hawaii
These worms can really add some beauty to an aquarium. They are filter feeders and do need some feeding for long-term success. They will, if stressed or starved, shed their crown and grow back a new smaller one. This can occur about 3 times before they finally die, thus they should be feed well if there isn’t enough available form the live rock. They are although hardy and tend to do very well in both properly maintained new systems and mature.

FeatherDusterWorm.jpg

Mar 29, 2007
Pink Tip Anemone/Condy Anemone/Pink Caribbean Anemone
Condylactis gigantea
Care Level: Intermediate
Water Flow: Medium
Tank Conditions: 72-78 degrees F
SG 1.023-1.025
pH 8.1-8.4
dKh 8-12
Temperament: Aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Ideal Supplements: Iodine, Trace Elements
Origin: Western Atlantic
Family: Actiniidae
Light: High, does not need as much light as pacific counterparts though.

The Pink Tip Anemone, also known as the Haitian Reef Anemone, is found near Haiti, in lagoons or on inner reefs, as individuals, or loose groups. It is never found in connected clusters. It has a red column with long, tapering, pink-tipped tentacles. The tentacles may occasionally develop a bubble-like appearance. Generally it likes to bury the base in the sand or into the crevice of a rock for protection.
The Pink Tip Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although an Anemone requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Pink Tip Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab.

The diet should include feedings of fish, mussels, shrimp, or other foods of this type.
It is uncommon for a clown to host a pink tip anemone although there have been reported cases.

Information off http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=43&pCatId=1256

yothereyo

just fishing
Nov 18, 2006
UK, England, Hampshire
Blue/Green Reef Chromis

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"
Color Form: Blue-Green
Diet: Omnivore
Origin: Coral Sea, Indo-Pacific, Tahiti
Family: Pomacentridae

The Blue Green Reef Chromis, sometimes called the Blue-Green Reeffish or Blue Green Chromis, is found in schools throughout the Indo-Pacific reefs and in the Red Sea.
It is a very hardy fish found in a variety of aquariums. It is commonly kept long term, in small schools, and used by beginners to learn the hobby. It may also be included in larger schools in show tanks. It is a peaceful fish, and adds a dramatic effect to the aquarium. The Blue Green Reef Chromis will live from 8-15 years in an aquarium in water of good quality.

Germanman

My fish are my babies
ok lets jump start this sticky!

Bicolor Blenny
(Ecsenius bicolor)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Temp: 76-80°F
Adult size: 4"
Diet: marine algae, meaty foods
Origin: Indo-Pacific, Sri Lanka
These fish do well as a stared fish due to the fact that they are very hardy and will aid in algae clean up in the aquarium. They should be provided with dried algae in their diet and will happily accept frozen foods as well. There are reports of them sometimes nipping at soft corals but this is very rare and tends not to be a problem. they may behave aggressively towards each other, and other blennies, but tend to get along well with other fish.

bicolor_blenny.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store