Jello CO2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
FishHunter8

posted September 18, 2002 01:23 PM IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can someone please explain to me how this works.
------------------
In a way A Pike is like a Perch, But The Pike puts up one hell of a fight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29gallonsteve

posted September 18, 2002 01:28 PM IP: Logged

The recipe is :
Add 2 packs (4 serving size) of Jello into an empty clean 2L soda bottle.
Add 2 cups of boiling water and mix so that the jello fully disolves.

Add 2 cups of sugar and mix the solution again to disolve the sugar.

Add 2 cups of cold water and mix the solution again.

Store in the refrigerator overnight or until jello sets.

The next day, add one cup of room temperature water.

Add 1/4 TSP of yeast and a pinch of baking soda.

Cap the bottle and wait for it to go...

FishHunter8

posted September 18, 2002 04:37 PM IP: Logged

Thank you so much, how long will it last for and how many bottles do u think i need for a 50g?
------------------

Richer

posted September 18, 2002 05:33 PM IP: Logged

how many bottles depends on how your going to dissolve the co2 into your water... i'd try 3 bottles, and either add or remove a bottle depending on whether or not you get enough co2 into your tank.
HTH
-Richer

flight50

posted September 18, 2002 07:40 PM IP: Logged

I find this recipe a little tricky. I got crap stuck all in my hoses on the way to the reactor. And yes, I did follow the recipe as it said. My fault was probably shaking up the mixture once I pulled it from the frig from overnight. Hope you have better luck than I did.

FishHunter8

posted September 19, 2002 01:27 PM IP: Logged

Thanks can i ask 2 more quaestion: How long will it last?
In the hose in the pop bottles what works better: Using a hot glue qun to seal the hose or silicone?

------------------

29gallonsteve

posted September 19, 2002 01:35 PM IP: Logged

Try these...they work really well.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p.pgm?Q=1&I=LXG849&P=7
I did have a problem with gunk building up in the tube. I just made sure my check valve was closer to the bottle than the tank. This seemed to stop it.

You may want to look at this setup...the ingredients aren't the same, but the pics helped me... http://www.myfishtank.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=diy&action=display&num=1026617898

Thanks,
Steve

[This message has been edited by 29gallonsteve (edited September 19, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by 29gallonsteve (edited September 19, 2002).]

DIYMatt

posted September 19, 2002 02:25 PM IP: Logged

I haven't been on these forums for a while, so I don't know the jello method.
First, what is the advantage over the regular table sugar/yeast reactor? The jello method seems much more complicated, especially if you have multiple bottles.

Second, whats the deal with all the complicated CO2 reactors? I run my CO2 into my canister filter intake. It seems to dissolve the CO2 well and I use it as a bubble counter also. I count the bubbles as they go down the translucent tubing to the filter.

Is it just me, or do we make things more complicated than they need to be?

29gallonsteve

posted September 19, 2002 02:37 PM IP: Logged

The sugar yeast method lasts about 2 weeks...this lasts about 4-5 weeks for most people.
The reactor is just known to be more efficient for those without canister filters.

FishHunter8

posted September 24, 2002 05:00 PM IP: Logged

How long will it take to start?

29gallonsteve

posted September 25, 2002 07:43 AM IP: Logged

Mine took about 5-12 hours (not sure...overnight).

wetmanNY

AC Members

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Mr. Jingles - when I was doing the DIY route, I just dumped my instant yeast in without activation. Seemed to work well enough.

HTH
-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store