Ghost and other shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
I'm in the process of creating a planted 75 gallon aquarium and I was wondering if ghost, bumblebee, and other small shrimps would be in danger from my planned fish list:

Cardinal tetras
Zebra danios
(Gold) Neon tetras
Cherry or Checker barbs
Blue rams
Celebes rainbowfish
Glass catfish
Indian Glassfish
Peacock Gudgeons
Bumblebee gobies
Dwarf plecos (rubber, etc)
Assorted dwarf loaches (yo yo, chain, zebra, etc)

I know some dwarf plecos such as Queen tiger specialize in invertebrates and I'll avoid them, but what about the other fish?

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
i would watch out for hte loaches. I have zebra loaches and had yo yo loaches and they both ate some ghost shrimp i added(good thing i decided to add the ghost shrimp to test instead of the 3$amano shrimp:) )

I would also watch out for any fish that gets to be a decent size,anythign will eat the shrimp if they will fit into their mouths. I would try some test ghost shrimp before you go out and buy fancy shrimps.

- I also have dwarf plecos in some of the tanks with shrimp. I have clown,bristlenose, and rubbernose and they are all fine with the shrimp.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I agree--watch the loaches. Kuhli's and weathers will be okay, but anything that is a known snail eater will be questionable with any invert.

Don't glass fish do better in mild brackish water?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
A couple of comments.
First, I agree with OrionGirl about the glassfish. Also, bumblebee gobies prefer brackish water, and I have never induced one to eat non-living food.
Not sure about the loaches and the shrimp, but I have two 5" clowns loaches in a tank full of amano shrimp and they have never touched them. But that may not generalize to all loaches, or even all clown loaches. I like the idea of an experiment with cheap shrimp.
HTH

Cypherman

All about Aulonocara!
Apr 3, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Ive heard that, but Ive also had no trouble keeping both in freshwater (with a little salt added thats tolerable for most FW species). Bumblebees will take frozen, but not usually prepared foods in my experience. I will avoid the loaches then since it will be a pain in the @$$ to catch them once theyre in the planted tank....Ill stick with dwarf cories, Khuli, and other thin, long bodied loaches.

I also have a royal pleco at the moment too...Do you think he might be a problem?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store