need tips on marine life.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
hi im a newb.

i need to ask a few questions on varyied marine live stock, lighting ect.
hope some one can help

i ordered some xenias of the internet. i could not find a place near buy that sold them, so i found a place that sent them out in post.
probably a silly thing to do. any way they arrived 2 days ago, one is a bright green carpet xenia which wasent on any rock, and the other was on a rock but is a diffrent type, its pale pink in colour.
when they arrived i assumed i should put them in the tank asap, then left them to settle whilst i was at work.

when i got home the green one looked well, but the pink one is still down and floppy looking. do you think it might be dead?
i dont think i have ever seen it pulse, so im thinking mabe it is
here is a pic of what it looks like (not a very good pic though, but its a ruff idea) click to make larger

also yesterday i brought a starter unit for 2 t5 lighting tubes.
the tubes that i broughtfor it were, a 22" t5 marine blue 420 actinic lighting tube + a t5 marine white 14,000k lighting tube, both are 24w each. (by arcadia)
is that good or bad lighting?
can i keep most corals on that lighting or would i need a stronger set?
oh yeh i still have the origenal marine set up for my tank, juwel trigon 190
corner tank, and they are
X1 coral sun, 24", 10,000k blue.
X1 ocean sun, 2", 10,000k white.

also one more question, i have been reading some threads, and i came across some one talking about a calcium reactor.
could someone tell me what this is and what its for?

thanks clarebear :confused:

Mar 29, 2007
what size tank and did you acclimate them?

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
hi musho3210

my tank is a juwel trigon 190 (corner tank)
i have had it for about a year and a bit, heres a pic

i have herd of this aclimatize before, but i dident know how to do it.
i tryed phoning the shop but no answer.

could you tell me how to climatize, for futor perposes?

thanks clarebear

Mar 29, 2007
acclimate is just getting the corals ready for the tank, i think this is why they suffered

Take an airline tube (the silicone things you use on air pumps) and make it a siphon, tie a knot on the tube so the water is only siphoning around 2 drops per second, leave it like that for about an hour or 2 depending on the differences between the dealers tank and your tank. Then carefully place them in your tank.

It doesnt seem like you have anywhere near enough light, your tank is 190 liters right?

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
thanks for info niko, well aprec. :)

hi, musho3210

yes i have a 190L tank

i was only on the normal set up for a year untill yesterday then i brought the only t5 lighting starter unit and bulbs, i could fit to my tank, without taking all the lids off tank to have metal halid, or 'what do you call it' open tank lighting.
all togther i have 4 bulbs running, 2 are blue and 2 are white.

when i brought the t5 lighting, i thought i was sorted.
how many watts of t5 lighting am i sapose to have?

thanks clare

Mar 29, 2007
you have around 50 gallons, so your aiming for about 300 watts of T5, MH, or PC light, the easiest way to get there is to have 1 250 watt MH lights and 2-4 T5/PC blue actinic light. This is about 6 wpg which can get you softie corals and most LPS, of course you may have more light than this and maybe get sps or anemones if your up for the challenge

clare bear

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
bedford, bedfordshire
musho3210

im new to all this light stuff, as you can see,
im not to sure what you mean by mh lights and 6 wpg.

i dont know what my lighting adds up to all together in wattage? because the blue bulbs dont seem to show how many whats they have it only says 420 actinic? i dont know what that is.
if i told you what i have, do you know how to work it out?

also what can i keep under the lighting i have at the mo? other than the fish, which are quit happy.

thanks clare

Mar 29, 2007
well tell me exactly what lighting you have, it might work for a little while. Tell me how long the tubes are

MH - Metal Halide Lights, best choice for reefers
WPG - Watts per gallon

Mar 29, 2007
200 watts of MH/PC/T5 light is the absolute minimum for the corals you have, with 200 watts you can pretty much only get softies like mushrooms and leathers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store