bubble algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sparkle

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Hi, :help:
I appologise if this question has been asked before, but does anyone have any tips on how to remove bubble algae on living rock? I had one bubble for ages and today I noticed a bunch of bubbles. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it?
Many thanks
Sparkle :girl:

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
Manually remove them...my emerald crab hasn't touched the bubble algae in my tank!

Germanman

My fish are my babies
Manually remove them...my emerald crab hasn't touched the bubble algae in my tank!
some wont and thats just the crab is stupid like that or ur feeding it to well. if u manually remove them they release spores when they pop and those will soon come back as thousands of new ones.

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
When I'm syphoning the water out of the tank I use the tube to burst it and it sucks the inards of the bubble then go and pick the skin off the rock. It has worked so far, I have no more bubble algae... Just an option cause my crab was useless but cute...

Thanks Andrew

Germanman

My fish are my babies
When I'm syphoning the water out of the tank I use the tube to burst it and it sucks the inards of the bubble then go and pick the skin off the rock. It has worked so far, I have no more bubble algae... Just an option cause my crab was useless but cute...

Thanks Andrew
yea that should work pretty well:)
not everyone is so skilled lol

kandibrandy

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Calgary, Alberta Canada
LOL...I think it was a flook the first time then I just kept doing it till they were gone and haven't had an outbrake so just lucky maybe, not skill...

darthgoby

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
About two months ago I got the first bubble and left it alone. Since then it has spread like crazy and since then I've been fighting my bubble algae for the past two months. So far, this is what I've done:

1.) Cut down on feeding
2.) Cut down on frozen food
3.) Removed filter pads from canister filter and replaced with live rock rubble
4.) Increased frequency of water changes
5.) Bought 4 emerald crabs who pick at the algae a little
6.) Sucking it out during every water change
7.) Cutting down on light duration and intensity
8.) Bought two powerheads to increase circulation

I don't know if it would've made a difference if I had attacked it earlier but you can be the judge. On a positive note, I think I've finally turned a corner and the bubble algae seems less intense.

sparkle

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
:dance2:
gosh thanks you lot for all you replies and so quickly. I had read about emerald crabs but I also read they are semi aggressive, are they safe in the reef with other inverts and fish?
Hadn't thought of sucking them out with a syphon, thanks again.
Sparkle :girl:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store