Dwarf Puffer won't eat anything but snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mak

AC Members
May 6, 2003
Central Nebraska
Visit site
Hi all, I have a pair of dwarf puffers and the little male will not eat anything but snails no matter what I try. I've fed, frozen blood worms, flakes, pellets, earth worms, microworms, live baby brine shrimp, dried brine shrimp and 100's of snails. He will only eat the snails. They did attack the earth worm but he just turned around and resumed his never ending search for snails.
I'm just about at the end of my snail population. I started a fresh jar and have lots of eggs but I'm out of snails large and small enough for them to eat.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
The female Dwarf eats snails and microworms and thats it. She won't touch the other stuff either. But she's in good shape. The male is starting to look very skinny.
mak

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Keep offering other foods. Mine wouldn't touch anything but live brine shrimp--not the babies, but the adults. Now, he's well adjusted and will eat about anything. You might try blood worms--both frozen and live go over fairly well. Of course, you may need to treat for internal parasites--wild caught puffers are very prone to them. Medicated foods are the best bet, which is hard to get them to eat--I'd try feeding the snails the food and feeding the snails to the puffer. If you are on good terms with your LFS, they might let you snail collect from their tanks.

chris-in-sf

AC Members
Jan 31, 2003
San Francisco
blog.chrissipe.com
Mine was very content with the large population of snails. after they were gone then he would eat live and frozen worms (and I think some baby Mollies). He doesn't touch anything else. If you had a lot of snails he's probably fine, and he will change his diet when he runs out.

chris

mak

AC Members
May 6, 2003
Central Nebraska
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, and thanks for the offer somefinnfishy, I think I'll try to wait him out though. I'm going to order some grindle worm culture and see if he will eat them. I have several hatches of snails but they are too small right now. I mashed a big snail for him last night and he did eat that so that helps. I just wish I could get him on a more varied diet! I wish he'd eat baby guppies, I had to net about 40 out of there last night.
mak

mak

AC Members
May 6, 2003
Central Nebraska
Visit site
RTR, could you please explain to me why my puffers shouldn't eat grindles and fresh fish? I don't quite understand your answer. The guppies are my own home raised, about 200th generation fish. so I know they are clean, and what could be wrong with grindles? Just curious as he won't eat the guppies anyway.
mak

TrashmanTodd

AC Members
Jan 27, 2002
Reno, NV
Well that's cool, I have a couple of dwarf puffers in one tank, and I just had a snail outbreak in another. Now, I know what to do:D

Thanks for the Form

Todd

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store