My Advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jonah2940

AC Members
Apr 14, 2006
UK
Hi all. I've had marines for nearly a year now and recently upgraded to a 103 gallon.
This is probably the first bit of advice I've given rather than taken on this excellent forum.
My personal advice to any newbie starting out is DO NOT IMPULSE BUY FISH. This is the biggest mistake I have made in my short amount of time in the hobby. When I first started out during a trip to the LFS I was met by a Porcupine Puffer which was at the front of the glass begging me to take it home. Stupidly I did this without any research on the fish. A couple of months later it has taken my tank apart and has cost me almost £150 ($300) in fish it has eaten and damage caused. It has gone now to a good home an my lesson is learnt but please take my advice and research your fish prior to buying. If you do fall in love with a fish at the LFS then do as I do now. Reserve it with a deposit, go home and do your homework. If you find it's not for you then your LFS will probably refund the deposit as mine does and you and your tank will have an easier life.

Thanks, Jonah:) .

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
I agree 100%. spoken like a champ.

Selecting the right fish and researching the poo out of them before even thinking of getting them is the best thing to do. Applies to marine and freshwater!!!!

Mar 29, 2007
i agree, also do not impulse buy invertebrate or corals, especially anemones

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Many LFS will hold a fish or coral at no charge for 24-48 hours in order for research/QT set-up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store