!!!Need Help With New Plant!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
I am totally new to plants. I have been keeping fish for years with no problem but have never tried plants until now. I know all the benefits so know need to tell me them. I have a standard 20gal tank with flourescent lighting. On the tube it says 30 so I assume it is 30 watts.

I bought a plant yesterday at my lfs for 4 bucks and I tried to buy a plant with a specfic name but they didnt have any so it just is called "Assorted Plants". I saw snails in the tank and new snail eggs often hitch onto the plants. When I brought it home there were some and I wiped them all off and even some in the pot. I still assume there will be eggs anyways but I have read enough to know how to deal with them.

What is co2/injection?
What fertilizer should I use and do I need fertilizer?
Can I use Tetra FloraPride?
Do I need a lot of gravel for it to root?
Does anyone suggest Java Fern & Water Wisteria?

Any advice and help would be very appreciated!!!

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
What is co2/injection? - co2 injection is using a pressurized co2 tank to inject co2 and dispersing it into your tank for your plants to use
(see below)

What fertilizer should I use and do I need fertilizer?- fertilizers are suppliments for your plants to grow and look their best. some say its no nessecary but i recommend it in order to have your plants looking good

Can I use Tetra FloraPride? - i suggest running with the Flourish line of products because it is well know and high quality http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...x=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Do I need a lot of gravel for it to root? - you want about an inch to 2 inches of gravel but you do not need a crazy amount, i reccomend mixing in LATERITE your gravel... it will leach you minerals that are good for plants and your swords will thank you http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

Does anyone suggest Java Fern & Water Wisteria? - java fern is a great beginner plant, but i have no expirance with wisteria

lg_14713_23958P.jpg

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
Well I know I can forget all about the CO2 stuff.
I guess Java Fern will be my next plant. And I know I have Flourish at my lfs but never paid any attention to it. Thanks for the advice.

Ketso

Cityfied Redneck
Jan 26, 2007
Peebles, Ohio
Well I know I can forget all about the CO2 stuff.
You could always add a DIY Co2 setup. It's not difficult. Is fairly cheap to start with. And works tremendously. However, the cost of doing a DIY Co2 is greater over the long run.

Search the DIY section. There is tons of info on making your own setup. From recipes for the mix to diffusers. It's all there.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
If you are just going to go with the java fern and wisteria I wouldn't worry about CO2 or ferts. With that low lighting there isn't much of a demand for it. These plants can be grown in very little light with no ferts, so they are like fake plants but better, because they are real. I have some water sprite(kind of similar to wisteria) in a small container of water with minimal lighting, hardly any sunlight either. It doesn't grow all that fast but it's still alive, and it's been like this for a while.

But anyways, for java fern you won't really need anything special. What I would be worried about is that mystery plant you have and it's requirements. What does it look like?

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
Is 30 watts in a 20 gal tank low?

And thank for the encouragement, both of you.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Yes, it is pretty low. You usually want to shoot for around 2 watts per gallon.

Here's a good website if you want to read up more on the processes, what you need to make things work, and why things work the way they do. www.RexGrigg.com

And some plant types common to the hobby: http://www.aquahobby.com/e_garden.php

Riven02

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
I bought some Hornwort and I have 15W over a 45 Gal tank (I will be upgrading my light this weekend) and that dang Hornwort has grown 3 or 4 4" or so runners in 4 days.

Keep in mind this is weighted to the bottom of my tank not floating. I was amazed.

G_Knicks

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the sites! I will hopefully get either Water Wisteria or Java Fern, which ever is cheaper or grows faster in like 2 weeks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store