How much lighting is needed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
I have a 55G tank with about 2.4WPG and I'm having some good growth but not great. I have a DIY CO2 with 1 bubble a second and I need dry ferts during the week. I have amazon swords, java fern, Brown Wendtii Crypt, tape grass(vals), baby tears, Rotala rotundifolia, Red Ludwigia, Creeping Red Ludwigia, Water Wisteria, moneywort, pearl weed, any of the same plant together.

Would it be a good idea to go to 3.5 or 4WPG in my tank? Would this help the growth of my plants or am I good on the lighting I have? I do right now have a algea problem, beard algea!!!

quadpants

AC Members
Jun 9, 2006
I would focus on adding more CO2, beard algae is a sign of too low or varying levels of CO2. If you were going to go 3.5 wpg you would need more CO2 anyways.

skeletonhand

Landscaper Extraordinaire
Sep 9, 2006
Lincoln, NE
I know the the Amazon swords, java fern, Brown Wendtii Crypt, tape grass(vals), baby tears, Water Wisteria and moneywort will do fine at 2.4wpg. Mine all grow like weeds at 2.4wpg. Are you using power compacts with plant bulbs? If yes, I think you might want to try and up your CO2. I used to run 3 2-Liter bottles on my 55. Also you might want to make sure you nitrates run around 10-20 ppm, depending on how heavily it's planted

Batmanjay28

AC Members
Aug 22, 2006
Oregon
It's heavy planted and I have 3 2L bottles running in CO2 into my 55G. I change the mixture every week. So would you say that I shouldn't add more light?

skeletonhand

Landscaper Extraordinaire
Sep 9, 2006
Lincoln, NE
I wouldn't change the lights. Instead, use the money you would spend for new lights, get a pressurized CO2 system. I think you'll get more bang for your buck. Cheaper than DIY in the long run. Plus if you do upgrade your lights, you'll want the pressurized CO2 anyways.

tinkerman

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
How are you diffusing co2? Maybe you are getting enough co2 in the water but not absurbing it.

tinkerman

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
I think a powerhead works great or the one with powerhead and gavelvac tube works good. Some work better than others and everyone has their oppinion which is the best those are the 2 I like the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store