cherry shrimp and rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Debisbooked

AC Members
Oct 20, 2005
Fremont Ohio
I have a 10g with cherry shrimp and lots of rams. There is also a male and female betta with plants, gravel, filter and heater. The rams are reproducing rapidly but the shrimp seem to stay the same number. I see babies but they don't make it to adulthood. Last count there was three adults, which is what has been the count for months. The bettas don't seem to even notice the inverts so I don't think they are eating them. I feed flakes twice a day - the shrimp are eating what floats to the bottom; I see them eating. Everything in the tank looks healthy. I do a 1/3 water change weekly. I've noticed that the shrimp "hide" more than they did when I first got them - when the rams were not so prevalent. Could the ram overpopulation be suppressing the shrimp? I've been taking out 10 or more rams once a week and tossing them into the 75g, where they either live or get eaten by the clown loaches. It seems like the more rams I take out, the faster they reproduce though.

pigeonblood

If discus ruled the world!
Mar 20, 2007
erie,PA
how many rams are we talking about a 10 gal. seems a bit small.If you can put the rams in a 20 long and leave the shrimp by themselves for a lil while they will reproduce rapidly. I LOVE THE CHERRY SHRIMP!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Err, methinks the rams in question are ramshorn snails, not dwarf cichlids...
Snails don't eat shrimp, but the bettas will eat babies, and sometimes adults as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store