explain to me how a bio ball filter works??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gumby131

cod fishing
Feb 4, 2006
Melbourne, VIC
i presume this filter is a bioball filter?????

and if it is could someone tell me how it works so i can construct one myself?
i would like the heater in the corner unit awell if thats all good.

DSC_6197.jpg

abh19

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
is that the right picture? I don't see any filter. Very nice rocks though.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
there's no magic in 'bioballs'. it's simply media for bacteria to grow on. in my opinion, a standard filter which uses sponge media is simpler, less costly to purchase and does just fine. they like to say that bioballs allow for growing 'more' bacteria but in fact, your filter can only grow that concentration of bacteria which is supported by the ammonia put out by the number of fish you have.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
I dont know much about bio balls personally but seems like folks say here all the time there not that good in normal filters, more suited for wet/dry trickle filters (which I assume is due to the more open spacing being able to allow more air through the media?). For media they have a lower surface area per volume than most other good media.

arl

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
bio balls works best on trickle filters. They're not that good when fully submerged. Rule is "The slower the drip rate the better. and the taller the bio balls the better. They say that when more than 2 feet deep and slow drip rate even nitrates are broken down or controlled. How it does that is beyond me, cause there sure wouldn't be any enearobic bacterias present in that condition.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Gumby....I don't see a filter in the picture you posted. There is what appears to be a powerhead discharge in the upper left. I would assume that background is false and there are some mechanicals back there. The power head could be just for circulation. Where did the pic come from..have a link?

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
In order to tell what kind of filter it is we need to see the filter not just a tank. It could really be anything. All we can see is the outflow of something thats heavily aerated, presumably a powerhead as rbishop has said. And bio-balls are just the media inside the filter, which I assume your really trying to figure out what the filter is not necessarily what kind of media is in it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store