My New 29g Tank - (first tank ever)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FaulkFish

AC Members
Mar 26, 2007
Tulsa, OK
What started with a gift for my 2 year old son from his great-grandmother of a 10 gallon starter kit has turned into something a bit bigger. It started by deciding that we needed a new bookcase to put the tank on to properly support it so I decided I would build one. (Woodworking is my hobby, or as my wife calls it, tool collecting :) ) So as the construction of the bookcase progressed, we figured that since we were going to all the trouble of creating a bookcase just for the tank, maybe we should get a bigger one. We finally settled on the 29 gallon tank.

A word of advice - When building a piece of furniture for a specific purpose (aquarium), it's a good idea to know how much space the aquarium needs. Oops! I didn't realize the space needed at the back of the tank for the filter and the bookcase was almost completed at this point. So this led us to getting a canister filter (Rena Filstar XP2) which is probably overkill for this size tank but I got a good deal on it.

So the the bookcase is now finished and the tank is filled and decorated. We are already really excited about the tank and we are checking it out all the time and we don't even have fish in it yet. A $50 gift has now turned into several hundreds of dollars spent on our part but I think it will be worth it. We haven't decided yet what kind of fish but we'll figure that out soon.

Now for the pics....

The finished bookcase and tank.
IMG_2594-edit.JPG

IMG_2597edit.JPG

I put a hinged top on the book case for easier access.
IMG_2600-edit.JPG

The filter behind the door.
IMG_2601-edit.JPG

IMG_2603-edit.JPG

I will post new pictures as we start stocking the tank.

Thanks.

IMG_2594-edit.JPG IMG_2597edit.JPG IMG_2600-edit.JPG IMG_2601-edit.JPG IMG_2603-edit.JPG

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Really well done - that's a fantastic piece of furniture and a great looking tank !

What's going to go in there ? (lucky fish)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Great!

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
you did an amazing job. very nice.

ImAGMan

AC Members
Feb 13, 2007
Very nice i was about to say its going to be hard to get water in and out of that theres no space very good idea putting the hinge top :) Looks really good way to go im sure your son will love it when its filled with fishes :)

Pallen81

TheSunCoralTamer
Jun 20, 2006
Lawrenceville, NJ
www.mygodmusic.com
thats a great tank even if it was your 100th tank!! amazing job.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I have a couple of small tanks on top of an old TV hutch. Not in the same league as what you have set up. The brown wood behind the tank makes an interesting background. I'll bet some blue or brightly coloured fish would look great against it. Well done!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store