Snails and Ghost shrimp in a fry tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I don't see any problems with it... in fact, not only will they eat any leftover food, they'll probably clean up any fry that happens to die.

-Richer

JohnMemorialHS

Speed Demon
Apr 15, 2001
Madison, WI, USA
to be honest, the frys ghost shrimps can catch are probably either weak or sick, because I don't seem them to be too good at catching fish, since they can only use fast movement when swimming backwards, unless they can see the back of their head very well, it'd be hard for them to catch anything swimming backwards. If I were to decide, I'd go for the ghost shrimps with little or no worry.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have ghost shrimp, and I could imagine them eating the very tiniest fry. But once the fry could swim with any speed they'd be able to get away from the shrimp. I have platy's and ghost shrimp in the same tank and have frequently seen fry far too big for a ghost shimp to get, so the shrimp don't seem to be able to get all of them.
good luck
:)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i have pond snails in my tank with guppies and fry, they seem to be ok. i would shy away from apple-type snails tho if they aren't live-bearers at least, i think the apple types would find eggs a good snack. ghost shrimp i am unsure of totally, i have some but not with fry and i could see how it would be possible for them to eat small, helpless fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store