A day in the life of Big Mama...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Funny!

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Even funnier, I think, is that "Big Mama" had babies this morning. I caught 2 of them and added them to my fry tank, for a total of 4 fry now.

Well, as soon as I sat down to watch them for a bit, I noticed one of the new fry is trying to back into the other ones. At this point, they're not even old enough to be males yet! There's no question who their daddy is..

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
is it possible that members of the family poecillidae have a greater drive to sexually reproduce than H. sapiens? this will require extensive scientific inquiry.....

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I am still very inexperienced at fish keeping, and that male swordtail is the only adult male I have, but he is trying to mate 90% of the time. The only time he stops is to eat and sleep.

From what I've read, swordtails are all born as females, and some will develope into males depending on the population in their environment. This sounds strange to me, so I don't know if I really believe it or not. I would think they are born with a predetermined sex, and what they mean by "becoming a male" is that they grow a sword on their tale fin.

Surely though, 1 day old fry can't have sexual drives. Perhaps it is instict for males to try poking other fish with their swords. The adult male does this, despite that the sword isn't his sexual organ. When he gets really worked up, or frustrated(?) chasing the ladies, he'll sometimes jet 1/2 way across the tank in reverse. He's quite entertaining.

To see such a young fry doing this just makes me think they are indeed born as the gender they will be. The 2 fry I already had in the fry tank are about 1 1/2 weeks old, and they haven't been doing this at all. It must be a male behavior.

If I'm right about this, my fry will end up being 3 females and 1 male. We'll see in a few months. :)

Last edited:

Swayde

AC Members
Mar 12, 2007
Florida
That's how my George and Elizabeth are, always seemingly going at it until she gets mad and shoves him away hehe. They are both red wag tail platies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store