switching tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lessthanmike

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
cleveland ohio
Visit site
i will be switching tanks from a 45 to a 55 and i need to know the best way to transfer everything. i have about 2-3 inches of crushed coral and have no idea how to move it. i also have around 15-20 blue legged hermits and i know i won't find all of them. just wondering if there is an easy way to do this. thanks in advance. mike

cve

AC Members
Nov 24, 2000
Northern NJ
I am planning on doing the same thing and one quick question before you move.

Why not switch to a DSB during the move? (Might make things a lot easier.)

I am transferring a 75 gallon bow front and have a 55 gallon tank to make things easier. I am going to move the LR, fish, snails, and inverts with about 70% water from the old tank to the 55 gallon temporary tank. At the same time I'm moving the filter and everything else except the dsb and about 25% old water.

Once the fish and LR are all moved then I'll remove most water I can and leave the DSB in while I move the 75 gallon tank. It'll be heavy though!!

The fish/LR/snails and inverts won't be too stressed travelling in the 5 gallon buckets during the 5 minute car ride and using the same water will make things much easier.

I would seriously think about not using the crushed coral, it'd be a perfect time to do the switch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store