Companion Fish???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I'm looking for a companion fish among the following 15 cichlids, but I need to know which ones make good specimen (read: single) fish that react well to their owners.

Okay, I see that the top one is obviously a companion-type fish, but I'm looking for other options on the list:

Oscar (Astronotus ocellatus)
Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki)
Dempsey (Nandopsis octofasciatum)
Port Acara (Cichlasoma portalegrensis)
Chanchito (Herichthys facetum)
------------
Mozambique Mouthbrooder (Saratherodon mossambicus)
Texas (Herichthys cyanoguttatum)
Green Texas (Herichthys carpinte)
Chocolate (Hypselecara temporalis)
Synspilum (Vieja synspilum)
------------
Orange Tiger (Nandopsis urophthalmus)
Convict (Archocentrus nigrofasciatum)
Neet (Neetroplus nematopus)
Rainbow (Herotilapia multispinosa)
Jade-Eye (Archocentrus spilurum)

TIA,

Matthew

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Sorry for the mis-leading title. I meant good companions for ME, not for my other fish...:D

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Since you're in college and need to have smaller tanks, I'd go for either the convict or the Jade-Eyed cichlid. Archocentrus species are very personally, stay right at 5", and unless you have a larger tank they're really your only choice for a specimen in a 10 gallon. Oh, the rainbow cichlid would work, too, but I like Archocentrus best.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Thank you, Jayhawk!

I have a further question: Would your suggestions remain the same if space were no real consideration? The dorm in which I will live next year includes a suite area with each small set of rooms, and my tank (er, room) mates have all agreed to let me keep fish in the suite area.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I really, really like CA cichlids, and I really like my pair of convicts in a 20 long. They're very personable, and they're a cute, devoted couple. Unfortunately, they're young...the female is currently guarding what I suspect to be unfertilized eggs and the male is keeping those dangerous Endler's livebearers at bay!

If you could have a larger tank, so a 40G, I'm also a big fan of either Texas cichlid. They're high personality. I had one for 10 years - my wife and I both mourned when he passed away.

So, personally, depending on tank size, I would stick with one or even two Archocentrus sp. or perhaps a single Texas.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
If you decide to go with the Texas go with the "escondido" from Jeff Rapps, check out the picture on mojo's forum, nice fish. I have to say the synspium is a rather skittish fish and IME always hides when you aproach the tank but is very interesting if you take the time to sit there and observe his behaviors after he thinks that you have left. I don't think he'd be good for a public area though. I'd also skip the dempsey as after they hit six inches they pretty much hole up IME. Firemouths, well, there okay but you know as well as I there are cooler fish. An oscar is very personable and I love mine but I can't help but realize how much tank space he takes up. I'd personally say go with some smaller species and some dithers more bang for your buck, maybe some nics or the rainbows. The uropthalmus is a great looking fish but I'd say if your going to go red terror go festae, I love mine, he's definately aptly named. Quite the wishy washy post but thats what I think. How many gallons are you thinking? A public area is quite different from a tank you might set up in your room.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
you could really keep rainbows, and jade eyed in a 10 gallon?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Those 'Escondidos' are pretty cool-looking, but they seem to be the same as the Carpintes I have in my books...that may just be because they chose the best ones for pictures!

I'm thinking 55 max, because of transportation issues, but I could be convinced to go bigger (actually, that would not be too tough, but my parents are another issue...)

How quickly would the Texas or Green Texas grow? That might be a huge factor in my decision!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by caz
you could really keep rainbows, and jade eyed in a 10 gallon?
I could see it, but I do have a spare 20 high sitting around the house, so I'd use that for either of those fish as specimens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store