blue ram with swollen belly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
When I went down to feed this morning I found that one of my blue rams has a severely swollen stomach. He doesn't seem to have any issue swimming/floating, and hes still willing to eat. They get fed Omega flakes.

Tank info:
Am - 0
trite - 0
trate - <10, this is water change day so it never gets any higher than that
30gal tank, no plants, tank inhabitants are 4 blue rams, 8 rummynose tetras and 3 otos. I was out of the house all day yesterday so I'm not sure if this started yesterday. In any case, it looks like it has popped up within the last 48 hours. Its not dropsy, the fish is really swollen but scales are still flat. Haven't seen any poop so I don't know what that looks like.

I just fed some peas and he ate a little bit so I'm hoping that will help, but I want to get some more info before I start medicating, if I have to. Any help? I'd get a pic, but no camera.

pigeonblood

If discus ruled the world!
Mar 20, 2007
erie,PA
When I went down to feed this morning I found that one of my blue rams has a severely swollen stomach. He doesn't seem to have any issue swimming/floating, and hes still willing to eat. They get fed Omega flakes.

Tank info:
Am - 0
trite - 0
trate - <10, this is water change day so it never gets any higher than that
30gal tank, no plants, tank inhabitants are 4 blue rams, 8 rummynose tetras and 3 otos. I was out of the house all day yesterday so I'm not sure if this started yesterday. In any case, it looks like it has popped up within the last 48 hours. Its not dropsy, the fish is really swollen but scales are still flat. Haven't seen any poop so I don't know what that looks like.

I just fed some peas and he ate a little bit so I'm hoping that will help, but I want to get some more info before I start medicating, if I have to. Any help? I'd get a pic, but no camera.
what is your water temp? Do you ever feed live foods?If so what kind?

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I would keep a watchful eye if I were you. I have had similar problem with my rams before. Is the ram a female? Is her vent extended? It could be that she is ready to lay eggs OR she could have hexamita. It is good that it is still eating. If the fish stops eating the chance for ex really goes up. I really need to pay attention to water temperature changes keeping them as consistent as possible. Age the water and warm it up if possible. Any changes and they seem to be more prone to hex. I usually treat with metronidazole for about 10 days. Good luck!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Water temps are about 82, and the only food them get is omega flake and wardley shrimp pellets.

pigeonblood

If discus ruled the world!
Mar 20, 2007
erie,PA
Try feeding a more varied diet with some live foods such as brine shrimp,bloodwrms. ,etc.It helps them out a great deal other than being fed flakes and dry foods.Also bump your temp. up to 84 for a while it won't bother the tetras or anybody.This is also just my opinion but wardley products really aren't that great.Hit the ram with some heavy water changes for the next 3 days and a lil salt hopefully that brings him back around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store