need sump info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dixon

AC Members
Feb 16, 2006
Sunderland UK
ok as some of you know i built my stand for me new set up being built under my stairs, the stand has an opening of 22 1/2'' at the front so can be no wider than 22'' (left to right) however if can be 24'' deep (front to back).
it needs to fit an ap600 skimmer and eheim 1250 feed pump in one section so i need 9'' for that, it will have a DSB and then a compartment for the return pump or pumps.
what size sump should i build and where is the best place to section of each compartment.
the tank is a 32Wx32Dx24H will have 2 outlets in a wier not built or drilled YET.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Ok are you wanting to build a sump or buy a tank and turn it into a sump???

If you have the guts and skill to work with acrylic I would say build the largest sump you can fit and make it as tall as you can (while still acessing equipment). The more water the better!!

I would make the intake first, then the return, then the fuge on the other side. Place a "t" in the return line with a ballvalve so you can have adjustable flow to the fuge and call it a day.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Same thing then, make it as large as your stand will allow!!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
size wise, i agree..As you need 9" for the return pump, that is the smallest your return can be, add 3 inches for a bubble trap..So, your half way through filling the sump already...that leaves 12 inches to split up for inlet and fuge..possibly a bit less as you will need a little play room in the return...The plus side is that it can be a quite wide for a sump ( 22" )...

Niko

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
GOOD IDEA!!! Have you bought a pump yet???

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
First off you should only need one return pump unless you want two for a multi tank sump, second have you thought about a sump with the return in the middle, it would make your fuge much more effecent. Also you may want to add another over baffel just to help with micro bubbles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store